Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am new to this board but I was told there is a group called the Secret Seat Police.

I am new to this board but I was told there is a group called the Secret Seat Police.

I need the help of them... I have purchased an old vintage racing seat, the it has no real distintive markings..but was though to be a 60's era sheel.. it was reported to have been removed from an old Rallying Porsche 911..
    Does anyone have other information as to what type and the maker of this seat.. it is in damn near PERFECt condish... it has a nice fabric over the seat.... very and I do mean VERy light it weighs about 10lbs.. it has a fiberglass shell... does anyone have any idea's.... just trying to gather up some extra info on the seat..
    Thakns guys....
    Attached Images Attached Images    

a few more picturesof the seat

here are the extra pics
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Hey George,
    hahah! I am trying to get as much back ground on the eat as I can i'd like to document it and have info for it and all..
    I am going to place it in The Taj as I ..well Ashley and I have decided to go with a 930... so I have put the early car stuff on a well.. back burner for a long while.. but I love the seat...it will go well with Mr D's rare and period stuf he has.. it was funny Ashley laughed at it hard as she said "that is no seat! "hahaha!.. I said why yes it is.. and a damn nice one at that! I can't believe how light it is.. it's not more that 10 lbs..
    Do you have any other info on it?

Welcome Eric

It might be a re-covered Scheel. Sam, we need you!

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

Typically you can tell the difference between the Scheel and Recaro by the fact that Scheel most of the time has the entire seat recovered like this one does. The shape of the seat is similar in the upper bolsters to both the Scheel 300, and the Recaro "st".

However, the back of the seat shows the headrest provisions in the curves of the fiberglass, and that is more signature to the Recaro.

My guess is that it is a Recaro with the back covered.......

Eric

Sam, you have any input>?

It looks to be a Recaro to me. I have the same seat in vinyl with a basketweave center.

Best,

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Mckenna
    Sam, you have any input>?
    if I had to guess I'd say Recaro, for the same reasons that Eric (Soterik) mentioned the easiest way to tell most of the time is if their is original hardware present but for some reason their are a large number of seats floating around without, and after someone has had one recovered it even gets harder as every trimmer tends to do things their own way.
    Sam

Self anointed Head of the SSSP
    ( Super secret seat police )
    our motto is : if you've got a bug up your ass, we put it there

67S polo red 307958S (gone but not forgotten )
    87 factory turbolook Lagoon green metallic ( G50 O'yeah )

Interesting Seat Eric. Bring it by later this week and we will "test fit" it into my car
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

From the shape, I would say it could be either a high side bolstered Recaro or a Scheel - they both have similar front shapes and on those Scheels that allow headrests the back shape is also very similar. However, every Scheel I've seen has a yellow fiberglass bottom, while Recaro's are black. So I would say it is likely a Recaro (or possibly a repainted Scheel).
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187