Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 67 seat differences?

67 seat differences?

Is there any difference in the 67 911 seats vs 69-71?
    I've got a 67 S that has some later Recaros in it and I want to get the original seats for it. Do I need to look specifically for the 67 ones and how do I tell? Any help appreciated. Thanks.
    Tom

B-b-buy Bushwood?!?!
    All I know is that the '67 S sport seats were unique because they had no head rests. Good luck on your search. And have BIG $$$ available when you find them.
    Sandy Isaac
    '69 911E

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar
    Search any one of a dozen of SWB Sams posts on seats - pics and all -
    If I remember the 67 seats have the slide mechanism attached to the frame as a unit. Also if it has a headrest it should be round with curved metal peices that attach to the back of the seat.

Sam makes it much clearer.

John

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

In Dr. B Johnson's book, " ...a restorers guide......., it shows a reclining Recaro that doesn't have a headrest. He says it was made for '68 too. I have been thinking of upgrading my seats as my '67 came with std. seats that offer neither comfort or support. I had been considering the Bilstein/GTS seats, but not the Nurburgring seat or 912 that many people here have gravitated towards. While not exactly the same as the original '67 sports seat, I think the "Monte Carlo" seats are a closer match (just without the headrests). The benefit of these seats is the ability to recline. Since I don't track or rally my car, these look to be well suited for the task and a little closer to the sport seat of the year (if that really matters).
    Justin
    67 911S
    Australian TYP901 Register member No.47

Thanks for all your help. But actually I'm looking for just the standard 67 seats, not the sport seats. I'm thinking that I'd want either straight black or black with the houndstooth inserts.
    The car is sand beige. What do you all think?
    Tom

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar
    Tom;

A little too late on these, but thats what you want.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

John

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

B-b-buy Bushwood?!?!
    Before installing those standard seats, consider Vintageseats.com. At least for the drivers side. I have the RS seat. It ROCKS. On the street. At Willow Springs. I have a standard seat on the passenger side to provide easy access for my kids to the rear seats.

Those standard seats with no head rests aren't that comfortable, have ZERO side support for the twisties (forget about any track use or auto-X) and they're a safety hazard if you get rear-ended. Other than that, they're great.
    Sandy Isaac
    '69 911E

'67S seats

Tom,

I own a '67S.
    It has the appropriate sport seats.
    Look at page #2 of the "SHOW YOUR INTERIORS" post.
    I also have a set of correct regular sofas for a 1967 car, with the right headrests, that I would consider selling. They are beige ivory in colour and in phenomenal condition. Please feel free to PM me.
    Howard Lazarus
    Early S Registry #357
    RGruppe #181
    1971 911S Conda Green, Factory Airport Gears
    1972 Corsican Rose Love Fest

67 seats

I have a 67 911 with the seats you are asking about, all black, no inserts, no headrests. The chrome is showing its age, no rips. The springs are saging a bit, remember, they're 38 years old. They're ok, just set me low in the car. You would need to get sliders, I would need them for the replacement seats.
    My 911 is a "renagade" I put a 914 motor in it. 911 motor stuff was way to expencive. So needless to say I'm not a purest, so I don't really don't care what seats I have in it. They just need to be comfy for my tushy. I think I will go "racing" seats. lol
    I can send pics if interested. They look like the ones from that Ebay auction.

MrMom
    Round Rock, TX.

Member of 912.org.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

67 Seats

Tom,

Yes, I found out the hard way that seats and mounting do differ in the early cars. I wanted to change out the late model high backs in my '71 for originals, and after looking around awhile, I bought a pair with new black leather and good chrome and hardware. Really nice seats. They were supposed to fit 64 - 73, but when I tried to install them I learned that the sliders are different after '68. On your '67 the female piece that locks the fore-aft movement should be part of the floor. On my '71 it's part of the bottom slider. Not to mention the sliders themselves are incompatible. So, I'm stuck with a great set of newly recovered '67 seats. I could swap bottoms for some '71 cores and use the leather and padding to recover, but at this point, I just want to cut my losses. Are you interested in them?

Terry