Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nordschleife

Nordschleife

If you've got the requisite bandwidth and about eight minutes of spare time on your hands, then hop aboard an M3 GTR with H. Stuck (a.k.a. "the Ringmeister) for a tour of the legendary Nurburgring Nordschleife. Yes, there are Porsches, but alas, not for long.

Enjoy!

Jim

http://www.dgtalpimp.com/m3_gtr_nurburgring.wmv
    SWBGRUPPE
    Dues Paid Member #279

You were right. There were Porsches but not for long. Even though Stuck was not the fastest quaulifier, it's hard to imagine going much faster!
    Now a SWB 911 on 4.5" wheels and tyres at more sane speeds....

Thank you for the link.
    JLC
    rgruppe# 344
    collinsgruppe@bellsouth.net

Thanks Jim, most fun I had all day
    Henry

Dangit! I just watched that before going to bed. Now I'm gonna hear that shreeking Beemaa all nite long. Veeeeerrrrryyyy nice video. Too bad he blew off the P-cars like they were parked, but racing footage of any sort is A-OK in my books.
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

Quote Originally Posted by hdavis
    Thanks Jim, most fun I had all day
    Me too - I love the gear whine and watching those unmerciful shifts; can't do THAT with a 901 tranny! Things are not very hectic in the cockpit; just another routine day at the office for ol' Hans.....

Jim
    SWBGRUPPE
    Dues Paid Member #279

that was simply amazing, better than Rendezvous!
    I want to learn how to drive like that.

that was simply amazing, better than Rendezvous!
    I want to learn how to drive like that.

racing line

How did he know which side to pass on? For example, if I was the driver in the red Porsche I would have dove to the inside right to prep for the next corner as the best line. Do these drivers rely on their rear view mirrors at these speeds? Hans took it away from behind and it did not appear to be a braking maneuver but a speed pass.

When you take motorcycles to tracks you are instructed to tape the rear view mirrors and lights and pass on the outside. This is of course for B riders. Is there a different protocol at Han's level? Just curious....

BTW, the visual and audio experience deserved the IMAX treatment. What a rush. I rode on the back of a race prepped bike once with a former GP racer and everything was quiet - the shifts and braking were seamless. I think I would decline the experience with Hans.

I'm not certain what the protocol is, but I would think that the racing line would be vacated for the overtaking car in a non-racing situation. It seemed to me that the red Porsche probably cost Hans some time. My favorite pass was the dark hatchback, whose driver turned on the left directional and move as indicated! Hans has had a great career and is certainly no stranger to Porsches. I saw him race the BMW Factory CSL at Mid Ohio in the seventies and he jogged a couple of laps of the track each morning prior to practice. Perhaps it's that regimen which keeps him in the seat and competitive at 54 years of age. You can learn more about him and his career at: http://www.hansstuck.com/en/

Jim
    SWBGRUPPE
    Dues Paid Member #279

Drool (along with Homer sound effects and tongue hanging out!) That's definately worth saving on the hard drive.

On the subject of Nurburgring, Does anyone know where to get a decal of the track map with the Nordschleife AND Sudschleife? The only ones I have seen on the internet have either just the Nordschleife or combined with the new GP course.

Brian