Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E distributor in an RS?

E distributor in an RS?

Guys,
    I am rebuilding a 73 E engine to 2.7 MFI S specs. The E distributor is Bosch # 0231 169 009. Can I use this in the 2.7 engine with an S rev limiter rotor or does it need to be modified to work in a 2.7? If so, modified how and by whom? I also have a 0231 184 006 distributor. Will this work better than the E distributor in the 2.7 with MFI?
    Thanks for the help.
    The Capitalist Roader

caproader, I don't know if you have the technical specs book for your 73, but it contains the info you need regarding the T, E, S, and RS advance curves. You could go to a shop that services Bosch dizzy's and have them recurve it for you. Regarding part numbers, I don't have the info at my fingertips, but I can get you the RS dizzy p/n tonight. As an alternative, Warren (Early_S_man) can quickly tell you what all of those p/n's are and help you sort it out. Don't know if he posts here, but he's active on Pelican. I hope this is enough to get you started.
    Jim Richards
    Aubergine 1973 911E Sunroof Coupe w/ 2.7RS MFI
    Early 911S Registry Member #589
    GruppeB #911

Scope Creep Poster Child
    Caproader-
    I think that the E and S advance curves were the same, and the RS curve was different. PWD72S recently replaced his S distributor with an RS version. Perhaps he could shed some light on the difference.
    -Scott
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab

Jim,

Thanks for the reply. I have the part numbers for the T/E/S/RS distributors from the 72/73 tech/spec book. But when you look at page 48, the advance curve for the T,E, and S is the same and the RS curve is essentially the same after 2000 rpm. So my question is this: If the advance curve is the same, why does each distributor have a different part number? Phrased a different way, what does the different part #'s signify if the advance curve is the same?

John

John, I think the difference in advance curves below 4000 rpm are significant enough to warrant a different part number for the RS. It's just my opinion and someone else more knowledgable sure is welcome to weigh in on this. The T/E/S dizzy's probably have different p/n's because they came with different rotors, set to cut out the ignition at different near red-line rpm's. Another opinion, since I'm throwing them out with reckless abandon now.
    Jim Richards
    GruppeB #911

All I know is that when I converted from a stock "S" distributor to one with "RS" numbers, I gained on the bottom end, with no loss to the top end.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

John, my 2.7RS dizzy p/n is 0 231 184 004, which supersceded the original p/n 0 231 169 011.
    Jim Richards
    GruppeB #911

John - I assume you know both of your distributors are "E" models - 009 was for the 1973-73.5 model year and the 006 was for earlier "E" models. Getting purely stock combinations right is confusing enough, when you start mixing and matching, well, it's good to have a friend with a dyno room or Jerry Woods for a neighbor. There was an really helpful thread on this question years ago on the Pelican forum, and Early_ S_man posted some excellent info and graphs on advance curves and timing for T, E, S and RS models . Here's the link -

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...e&pagenumber=1

After re-reading it, I have the sudden urge to go oil my felt......
    John Gray

70 old air
    86 middle air
    95 new air

I didn't look close enough at your part numbers earlier. Did you mean 0231-159-006? That is the earlier "E" distributor. There are other models with a 0231-184 range, but not ending in 006, as far as I know.
    John Gray

70 old air
    86 middle air
    95 new air

Greetings all! I don't post here much but thought I can contribute a little.

Combustion chamber shape,compression,and octane are a few important factors that dictate advance curves. Ideally one would get some dyno time and "build" a custom advance taylored to that specific engine. This practice has become rare and expensive.

The "E" curve will not be suitable for this application since The E runs less compression and mild cams. I don't have the curves available to review,but my guess is that the curve may be too agressive at lower rpms increasing the likelyhood of detonation. This is a guess mind you, find the curves and review.In any case it is at best a compromise.

I'm not sure if Henry at Supertech or Jerry woods would be able to help, but they are ones that I would fish for some additional info.

Hope this helps.
    Aaron Burnham
    Burnham Performance
    1071 Avenida Acaso ste D.
    Camarillo, Ca. 93012
    805-240-6931