Thread: Reading Vin Numbers

Reading Vin Numbers

I have a 67 911, vin# 306xxx The tag shows (306xxx /\/\/\/\ s 66) The chart shows, And what does "66" mean?

911 Since To
    911 Coupé et Coupé S 305 101 307 522
    911 S Coupé (try) 310 001
    911 S Coupé (try) 320 001 320 009
    911 Coupé (4 places) 320 010 320 020
    911 Targa (try) 330 001
    911 Targa and S Targa 500 001 500 718

So is a "Coupe' et Coupe' S an "S" model?

Thanks,
    Mr. Mom

I'm curious too. Mine has that also but is 304xxx.
    I was told buy the previous owner it's a 67 but I believe it may be a 66. Any thoughts from the experts?

Brian

Boring Site

So I'm going to gather that no one on the forum has any idea How to read a Vin #? You know I jointed this site to get info. So far all I've read is Boring stupid stories..... I will go back to the 912 bunch, They at least will answer a post and try to help. I've posted 3 thinks here, and only 1 responce, and he was asking the same question.

Bye

Pretty hard to work out what the question is. You might be asking if this is an 'S' VIN? The answer is no.

"I've posted 3 thinks here, and only 1 responce."
    BTW, this is the first question you have posted here. Your other 2 posts before this thread were items for sale.

Young punks, grasshoop-ers, if you will...perhaps you should study a BIT OF P-CAR HISTORY! You see, when the 911 model first came out? Especially those introduced first into the USA? Very few of the P-car fanactics of the time embraced them as the second coming. Quite the opposite in fact. Therefore, there were MANY 1966 models left over in the showrooms of this planet, not to mention the USA. How did the P-car officialdom handle this? Simple...they magically turned many left over '66 models into '67's. For those who doubt me? The documentation is out there...do your own research. My first new P-car was a '66 912. Frankly, based on the problems I suffered? Wish I'd bought a '65 SC for less money...my first P-car experience would have been more enjoyable. Mr. Mom? Are you in this for the fun...or the money? If it's the money, you may end up discovering that is more easily made elsewhere...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

In it for the money???? I was asking a simple question, and it sat there and no one answered. Young punk? Grasshopper? What are you talking about? Ok, I see that a nice person answered my question, I don't have an "S". No biggie to me, I was just courious from the way the Vin # were stated on the info page. As for you, It sounds like your the poster child for snobby, Pinky up, Porsche owners.
    Again, GOODBYE!

Geez...must be Tabs brother huh?
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMom
    I have a 67 911, vin# 306xxx The tag shows (306xxx /\/\/\/\ s 66) The chart shows, And what does "66" mean?
    I'm reminded of the plate in the trunk of my '65 911 which reads "Heirzeinrichtung Typ 911 ^v^v^v S 66

At one point I was able to translate "Heirzeinrichtung" as Heat Regulating or something. I'm having trouble with "Heirz" but the point is that most 911s from '65 through '67 seem to have the same information in their trunks.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Quote Originally Posted by MrMom
    So I'm going to gather that no one on the forum has any idea How to read a Vin #? You know I jointed this site to get info. So far all I've read is Boring stupid stories..... I will go back to the 912 bunch, They at least will answer a post and try to help. I've posted 3 thinks here, and only 1 responce, and he was asking the same question.

Bye
    After this, you expected nice responses? FWIW, the info given was given freely. 'Twas nice meeting you grass-hooper...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

For what it's worth it is NOT a " VIN number "...

VIN = Vehicle Identification Number. adding the word "number" after saying "VIN" is redundant.

Sorry, just one of my pet peeves...