Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carrera RS #405 on ebay...

Carrera RS #405 on ebay...

It's in Japan, has (apparently) a re-stamped case, and has been resprayed in white from the original light yellow. Buy-it-now price of $89K. Link.

What's the possibility it's for real and not some scam deal?
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schooley
    What's the possibility it's for real and not some scam deal?
    Very little possibility.

Rots a Ruck...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

The Japanese guy and these cars he's selling just doesn't make sense to me. The same guy had an RS at B-Jackson and sold for a strange $90,000. He makes the cars look correct, but I have a feeling inside that something seems to be wrong. Fraud.

Erick

I am south of yokohama

I have asked to inspect the car, here in Japan. There are some Wonderful cars here, especially some RS and Early S cars. I have access to a very
    knowledgeable Porsche Restoration person here, so i will run it by them
    as well.

RLK

Japanese sourced Porsches

A lot of all sorts of "collectors" cars went to Japan in th late 80's when the strong property market strong currency and "investor mania" was rampant. They were big buyers of all sorts of Porsches ( RS's, 917's, 962's as well as the top model turbos etc) let alone Ferarris Lambos Astons Big Healeys and lots of "collectable" sports racers to put away in "collections".

It would not surprise me that after 15 years or so of poor economy, poor stockmarket falling and poor property market and relativly poorly performing currency, some of these started to come out onto the international market.
    Ebay and the ease of communication (and misinformation) that it allows of course helps this process. How well they will have beeen cared for etc and how authentic they are now ( or were when they were bought in the collecting frenzy) is anyones guess. I would definitely say "buyer beware" but I would not be as negative or dismissive as some on the list seem to be.

If you have the right contacts and can inspect the cars ( or have an expert do it for you) I suspect there might be a few genuine bargains amongst all the offerings out there.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

This could be a bargain. After due diligence and a clean PPI of course. Just because the guy can't translate well doesn't mean it's a rip off. But then again it doesn't mean it isn't either.

Healthy skepticism has gotten me through hundreds of E-Bay deals without getting burned (yet ).

Treat this as any other for-sale item. Get the proof and verify everything. If you take the plunge on faith, well, then good luck.

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

Agreed with the last two posts...that's why I asked if it could be for real. Ever wonder how many possible bargains might be hiding out there in foreign countries just waiting for us mental P-car rascals to seek out? Maybe it's time to put together a world wide travelling team for early rescue...lol. (not me though, for my idea of seafood ain't suschi...it's fish and chips from Red Lobster...lmao)
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

I didn't mean to be dismissive of it -- it's just a lot more difficult to verify the car's authenticity than one in North America. But otherwise, $89K for a series one RS is a pretty good price (assuming a good PPI, of course). The car's location and the language barrier are surely keeping a lot of potential buyers at bay.

89,000 US dollars equals 9,405,075.27 Japanese yen.