Thread: Vintage Pirellis

Vintage Pirellis

A good friend of mine in the vintage Italian parts business gets all his stuff from Italy. On a recent trip, he came across a couple of hundred 185X70VR15 Pirelli Centurato CN36 tires. These were reproduction vintage tread tires made and "prepared" by Pirelli in '99 for vintage events and are in a Pirelli warehouse.The tread depth is 5mm instead of the regular 9mm. He must buy the whole lot and they would end up running about $185-190 each over here. Any interest out there? (They seem too expensive to me). He can sell a couple of dozen to the Ferrari guys but I can't see them moving fast over here and I don't want him to become Overpriced Tire Warehouse (I get nada here either way - just helping a buddy make a decision). Any comments out there?

Galen
    '68 911 with non-vintage Michelin Pilots
    '55 Speedster
    '59 Sunroof coupe
    '64 Cab
    '04 Cayenne
    '04 SL 55 AMG
    '04 E55 AMG

Concours people might be interested. They would not be good for any driving because the rubber has already had 6 years to harden....

That size is perfect for the early 911's. I try to use it on all my cars. The price is not cheap but I suppose it's in line with the Coker Michs. The only other alternative I've seen is the Veredistein. They are actually pretty good and I've got them on two cars.
    Tom

XWX's rule! Unfortunately, you need to be a "ruler", "dictator", or "head of state" to afford them. Corky Coker has us by the shorts but in honesty they've always been expensive. A setup like Freeman had on his '73 was "da bomb".

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Wink XWX's

Tom,

You are exactly right on the XWX's - I love 'em. I have them on my '59 coupe and '55 Speedster. The 59's are about 8 yrs old (165's!)and I dread having to replace them soon. Coker only makes a batch of 165's every 4 or 5 years so we all bitch about it on the 356 list. But, just to keep perspective, new Continentals (which I don't love to begin with) for the rear of the E55 AMG just cost me about $350 apiece so I guess it's all relative. (Unfortunately none of my relatives have any $$$) Since I don't know Freeman, could you tell me about his set-up for future reference?

Thanks,
    Galen

7 Inch Fuchs with 185/70VR15 XWX's. I have a set "on hold" in the garage right now just like he ran. Absolutely stunning. See the October 2004 Excellence for an article on the car.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

CN36s were my favourite tread pattern back when they first came out. I would take a batch of 20, I am in Europe so hopefully they could be shipped direct?
    Nick Moss - Early 911S #476 - RGruppe #318 - early911.co.uk