Thread: Parts advice for '71 911T

Parts advice for '71 911T

I am new to the board and pleased to be here. I have a 1971 911T Targa. It is in "good" daily-driver condition. I favor stock. Occasionaly, I can indulge in some improvements (beyond maintenance). This is one of those years. Your advice is appreciated:

1) Exhaust: Is Bursch any good? Can I gain a couple of horsepower with an exhaust upgrade? Should I stay with a stock muffler? The current muffler was installed around the Carter Administration, so it is due.

2) Shocks: What is the favored brand for non-track use? The Konis on there are at least 20 years old. I do not have a swaybar, but was wondering if I should get one.

3) Lights: Is there any downside to the H4 upgrade? such as blowing fuses or melting wires?

4) Rubber: I was shocked at the price for the rubber for the roll bar -- is there a secret inexpensive place to get rubber? I mean, a strip of rubber should not cost the same as a flight to Hawaii.

5) Did '71s come with chrome or black for the engine grill, horn grills and turn lenses? Mine is a late 1971, built in April. It has the square outside review mirror -- I am told the early 1971s still had the round review mirror. Is black trim stock? If not, I will buy chrome parts... I have conflicting info on whether the late '71s had black as an option -- I am told the '72s definitely could be had with black trim.

That list should burn through $2,500, so I will stop.
    Thanks,
    SCOTT
    (Here's a photo of my 911)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Scott,

Nice car and not your conventional color. Bravo!

My long term list has included some of your items. Thoughts:

1-Muffler - More than the HP gain is usually the change in the sound. Find someone who has the exhaust you are thinking of getting as see if you like the sound. I have an Ansa and while for MFI and Carb'ed cars there is supposedly a loss of HP, I like the sound and the penalty for my CIS car is not dectecable.

2-Shocks-The current "in" setup is Bilsteins. I am going with Bilstein HD fronts and sport rears. However, if you have Koni Struts you may need to replace them with Konis or have the struts modifed to accept another insert. PWD72S recently had this done.

3-Lights-H-4s are a good upgrade but if you are going to increase the lamp wattage beyond 55/60, the conventional wisdom says you need to install relays and heavier wiring to prevent damage to your steering wheel stalk.

4-Rubber-What can I say, welcome to the "joy" of owning an older car. PAG has not been kind in the pricing department either however, many aftermarket/replica parts do not have good fit or finish and you end up doing the job twice. FWIW, to add insult to injury, if you get the part for the front windshield, the part you get will not fit unless you machine it as well.

5-Chrome vs Black-I am not an expert but I think you are part of the chrome era.
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

Hi Scott,

Where are you located? If your'e in So Cal, I have a Burch pipe sitting in my garage and would be happy to give to you to see if you would like to use it.

I also think that chrome is correct for that year.

Cheers
    Andy Baugh
    RGruppe #48

Thanks Harry, I appreciate the info.

upgrades

SSI's replacing the stock exhaust system are a excellent upgrade as well and you will notice the difference. Installed they are about $1200 if I remember right. My experience is that most exhaust's (e.g. mufflers) compromise performance for sound and it is allways better to invest in suspension and brakes. The SSI's on the other hand are a solid long term investment and you can still modify your existing stock exhaust (muffler) for sound.

From 1964-1972 the trim and horn grills were chrome. In 73', trim and horn grills was changed to black due to safety from getting blinded.

Erick