Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Air Cleaners ?

Vintage Air Cleaners ?

A pair of these came with my 66 911. They appear to be fairly contemporary to the vintage of the car. I assume there is some sort of cartridge that fits inside. Can anyone identify it? And where might I find a filter? Would K&N make something? Any help appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Jim Chambers
    1966 912

Jim, as you know, I've been around the 911 since the early days. That said, I don't remember ever seeing that on a street car SWB 911. I suspect you may be looking at something fabricated by a "local yuk" racer...probably designed to be used as is, atop carbs, with as little intake restriction as possible. This may sound silly to you, but you might run 'em by Monte Shelton, see if he has any memories...really, he's a nice guy, and pretty accessible...hell, it could have come out of his shop on Sandy...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

I'm betting that the only thing they had in them were velocity stacks. The "expanded metal" was to keep out the really big stuff.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

I agree with Tom. Racing at Delta Park during the old days meant pretty clean, dust free, air...the track being pretty close to the Columbia River. I really do think this is local stuff, not factory. But hey, I've been wrong before.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Quote Originally Posted by pwd72s
    But hey, I've been wrong before.
    According to Tabs. Yes.

Best,

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Foam

Hello: I believe those filters you have where covered with foam. I had a pair on a old 911 race car and they had foam covers. The foam did not last, so you ended up with what you have now. They make foam filters or you could buy some foam from a AC filter place and glue up your own.Thanks Eric

These are housings made by Filtron, or at least had Filtron foam elements in them (no longer in biz). The screen supplied support for the foam. I have them in my car with Amsoil foam elements modified to fit. They're lightweight compared to the K&N Watershield housings.

Sherwood
    Attached Images Attached Images  

This company is one I am familiar with since they make "wrap" filters which I have used on some Eyetalian bikes I've owned. A wrap is an easy way out.

Good luck,

Tom

http://www.unifilter.com/automotive.htm
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Jim,
    Are the top and bottom pieces made out of thin moulded plastic?
    I have a set of those that I have set aside for a future project. There are to many of these things out there that look identicle to be made in some one's back yard. They usually have a thin quarter inch foam band that goes around the outside of the wire mesh basket. Even those springs are the same type.
    Someone was producing those at one time. I have seen more of them in Europe. They are crude compared to the ITG type of foam air cleaners you see today. Back in the 60's things were not as refined. Mine came off a original 65 911 purpose built race car.

Sounds like we have an answer. Now to find some foam.
    Mine are very light weight. They seem to be black anodized aluminum, definitely not plastic. The top has a "brushed" texture.
    Jim Chambers
    1966 912