Thread: OK, I give up. . .

OK, I give up. . .

Why is this product listed as for 73 - 89 ? Why wouldn't it work on 70 - 72 cars ?

http://www.classicvelocity.com
    70 911T Targa
    70 911E
    73 914

If you go flying back through time and you see somebody else flying forward into the future, it's probably best to avoid eye contact....

I would think oil line locations. In other words, cars prior to '72 had one set-up, then '72 year only with the forward oil tank, then the factory moved the tank back to the rear in '73. So, my guess is that '73 was a first year for a newer oil line design? Frankly, there were mixed thoughts about how much or how little this product cools over on Pelican...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Talking

It does a good job of relieving cash build-up.

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

Quote Originally Posted by Jens
    It does a good job of relieving cash build up.

Jens is truly wise beyond his years,....

The use of those fittings is positively criminal in applications like those. Those are THE most restrictive type of fittings made today and I would not use them on anything valuable.
    Steve Weiner
    Rennsport Systems
    Portland Oregon
    E-mail: porsche@rennsportsystems.com
    http://www.rennsportsystems.com

Here's one that I know works. I've driven the car. The car has the factory cooler up front as well. This auxiliary cooler assures the car pulls no serious temperatures. I've driven the car at a very spirited pace.

Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Scope Creep Poster Child
    Wit61-
    The cars built before '72 had threaded S hose fittings at the tank and engine mounted oil cooler. The '73 and up cars had slip-on fittings with hose clamps. As Paul mentioned, the oil tank was in a completely different location in '72.
    -Scott
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab

Tom, it's nice to know that you're up front when it comes to coolers. (Sorry, couldn't resist )
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Thanks all for the answer (I did know the 72 was unique), and for the candor about the product. My cash buildup problem has been under control for some time now what with old german cars, kids, etc
    http://www.classicvelocity.com
    70 911T Targa
    70 911E
    73 914

If you go flying back through time and you see somebody else flying forward into the future, it's probably best to avoid eye contact....

wit61, 72tii, eh?

I've been known to play with those myself a bit...wonderful cars.

Matt
    70 911T
    72 2002tii
    72 Alfa GTV
    68 BMW 1600 Alpina clone