Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Midwest Early Register Get-Togethers

Midwest Early Register Get-Togethers

Judy and I are trying to set a "schedule" for activities this summer, and I want to make sure that I get together with my Midwest Early Registry Buddies.

Last Fall, Randy Stenson was talking about the Vintage Race at Road America this summer as a get together time. What is the schedule for that event?

Dave (Cornpanzer) was talking about Taj - and maybe a get-together before that - Taj is the weekend of June 3 - 5th. Depending on how close my daughter is to giving me a Granddaughter, I am planning on attending.

OK, is there anything else that someone wants to plan for us crazy early guys? Brian set up a run for us last fall, does one of you Michigan guys want to set up a run in Southern Michigan for the crew?

Do we want to try to set up a weekend for a fall senic drive?

Am I trying to be a bit toooo scheduled?? I'm just anxious to get Kermit out on the road. I GOTTA GET OUTTA HERE!!!!!

larry
    larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    Hey Larry,
    Between the 2 SE Michigan PCA chapters, there are several organized drives here we early guys could participate in. They are well organized (complete with support vehicles) and it's always fun to show those 996se the what an early car can do. There's also a northern MI fall color tour that I hear is quite nice. I'll post any upcoming info.

Curt and I could always put something together around here, if everyone's willing to come up and over. How does a cultural tour of Detroit crackhouses sound? - maybe we can even arrange a mock carjacking? Just kiddin'...
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

Larry,

Randy S. has booked 10 rooms near the Road America track for the weekend of Sept. 16-18. We are hoping to generate some interest in a Fall Early 911 event there for the Elkhart Lake Vintage Festival races. I have never been to RA before and am looking forward to going, but it looks like Randy will not be able to make it this year, something about getting married or some lame excuse like that.

If there is interest let me know, otherwise he will let the rooms go.

The other event that I know of is the Porsches to Oxford thing the last weekend in July. I have not heard any other specifics about it other than the initial announcement a couple of months ago.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Geeez, Randy comes up with these neat ideas, and then bails out on the troupe? Howzat? But I guess getting married is OK, been there for 36 years, and I met his fiance - yep, not a bad decision at all.

I might be interested in going. I had mentioned it to Judy, and she is open. But, it only works if she and I are not the only ones who will be there. Does your interest indicate you may attend?

Is the Oxford meet the replacement for P2P? There may be a limit on how many of these I can do this year. And . . . . don't want to miss Taj, so Oxford may have to go. But RA could be neat.

I was there to shoot some video in the mid 70's when a company that I worked for sponsored a car that ran there. I was shooting around one turn, and had moved inside a fence to get clearer shots. I was on a gravel path right at the end of the turn, ready to get a great shot of the pack coming into the turn, when someone shouted at me, and grabbed my a$$ and tripod, and dragged me kicking and screaming back across the fence. Ruined my SHOT Dammit!!!!! Then we both watched as the pack came around the turn, and one of the cars spun out, right onto the gravel "path" that I was standing on.

Yep, needed to learn a few more of the ropes.

larry

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Loud lederhosen saves lives hoffman912's Avatar
    the 912 registry is going to have a presense at the Taj kreuzers, including a driving tour and dinner saturday night after the museum tour. Youre welcome to come along if youd like.

I would like to either do a SE michigan or illinois get together with the 912 registry, S registry, and the 356 registry some time this summer. We could share our knowledge and thoughts about these early cars, and have a great little get together. what do you guys think about possably doing somthing in early july or early september? Late july and august im going to be in california for the 912 rendezvous.

is Dave in charge of the midwest early S & R-gruppe? or is there someone else i should talk to?

Harry Hoffman
    Midwest/Greatlakes 912 Registry Regional Coordinator
    Harry Hoffman
    1968 912 #3656, burgundy red 'Fritz'. Some mods..
    912 Registry charter member #912R0195-C
    Early 911S Registry Member #2070
    356 Registry Member #36691

http://hoffman912.blogspot.com/

Now that i am in the midwest, someone count me in except Road Atlanta

The Taj event will be an Official Midwest R-Gruppe meeting and an unofficial early S get together. To answer your question Harry, Curt is the Midwest RGruppe guy.
    Hey Scargo, did you find an early car?

Larry, is Kermit all ready to go? Did you get the suspension sorted out yet?

I probably wont make it to Oxford as I will be in Mich for a VW event the last w-e of July. I hate it when schedules conflict......especially since Oxford is only a half-hour from home and filled with great driving roads!
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Dave:

Kermit has been parked comfortably in the garage all winter. Did get a chance to take him out this past weekend for a bit of exercise. This weekend I am taking him to get an inspection on the suspension. There are a group of guys in the SW suburbs that race, rebuild their own cars, and do work on others' as well. Souk (who lurks on this board from time to time) is going to do the work for me. So on Saturday we'll see what he says, and then buy the parts and make plans for the installation.

We'll see what Saturday brings. BTW, are you staying anyplace convenient for Taj? I will probably try to do the B&B thing again.

larry

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Staying convienient to the Taj.....yeah, my house! Nice to have an event 5 min from home

This isnt a big bed and breakfast area but I can help you guys get a hotel. I will be trying to arrange a host hotel for the deal.

Plenty of antiquing possibilities for wifey-poo not too far away. I could probably loan her a nice vehicle so that she isnt trapped in Porsche Hell for the entire w-e. You just have to promise that you will not drive it! I have heard all of you rental car stories..........
    Dave
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

BTW, there will likely be a Early S/Rgruppe BBQ at my house on Sat night of the Taj w-e. There is a VW Drag race in town the same w-e so a lot of those guys will be there too.
    Curt had a fun ride in a turbo beetle last year!
    Dave
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439