Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Corvairs

Corvairs

Does anyone here likes Corvairs?
    I think the Corvairs beat Porsche to the mmarket with a air cooled flat 6.
    (please no flaming )

Sure.........

I like mine like this...........
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

There are many good things about Corvairs.

But, there are many great things about 911's!

After owning a 65 Corvair Corsa for 10 years it took about 3 months of owning a 1968 911T to decide that the Corsa was to go. Yes a 68T!

Compaired to everything else that Detroit was producing the Corvair was an excellent car. Sporty, efficient, durable, and clean esthetics. Pretty daring for Chevrollet. The Corvair could out handle virtually every domestic car so to call it unsafe or dangerous was strange. It handled "differently" would be more correct.

In a land of V8's the Corvair did pretty well.

If Chevrollet wants to get me into their showroom a Retro Corvair just might do it.

Hmmm...
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.

I inherited a '62 Monza from my sister. Converted the Powerglide to 4-speed manual, upped displacement to 164 cu. in (~2.7 liters), added the riguer 4 downdraft 1 barrels, lowered with widened 13x7"wheels on Goodyear Blue Streak Caldwell recaps. That was my ride for along time with an occassional autocross. I finally sold it for my '69 pcar (that's a ways back).

GM showed typical cajones by dropping it under pressure by this guy who didn't/still doesn't have a driver's license, but wrote a book about it (a person I respect in other areas, though). Actually, GM marketed this car in the "sporty" category, yet as set up, was anything but that. They stopped short of giving it a real independent suspension, instead equipping it with a variation of a VW swing axle. They were also troubled by oil leaks. Otherwise, a forward-thinking, nice-looking, light and maneuverable compact of the day. It's a good thing the aftermarket stepped up to provide the right parts that GM "forgot".

The Yenko Stinger in Chuck's post was the epitomy of Corvair development - of course not created by GM.

Sherwood

Unfortunately I don't have a picture, but here in SoCal there's an absolutly beautiful early Corvair spider with a personalize plate that reads ..........

F NADER

My buddy Hector's mom's gold early coupe/automatic was the first car I ever spun out...

I thought it was a very fun and practical 'small' American car that lacked from bad press and bastard-child development.
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Miller
    F NADER
    LOL Chuck - I'm sure nobody here voted for that NUT!

I've never owned or driven a Corviar. But years ago (early '90s), I was working in the Cadillac studio at GM Design Center. Every so often we had a "studio cleanup" day... usually before some celebrity or political dignitary came through for a tour. Is I walked over to deposit my armload of botched/rejected sketches on the big trash pile that had formed in the middle of the studio - I saw something that I couldn't BELIEVE was sitting on top of that pile!

An ORIGINAL Corvair rendering/design proposal dated early 1963 - beautiful "old school" technique, gold chalk and gouache on black Canson paper. It was created and signed by designer Dave Hronek (who had since retired from the General, so I never knew him). Let's just say, I quickly removed it from that trashpile!

I'll see if I can get a picture, it is now properly framed and on display (so reflections may be tricky) - SO glad I saved it from the SHREDDER!
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

I a fan of the early cars up to '64.
    I like the '64 since it has the early style but the later car's suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by JCR
    I saw something that I couldn't BELIEVE was sitting on top of that pile!

An ORIGINAL Corvair rendering/design proposal dated early 1963 - beautiful "old school" technique, gold chalk and gouache on black Canson paper. - SO glad I saved it from the SHREDDER!
    Jared:

Just goes to show -- One man's trash is another man's treasure. That is why Judy and I like antiquing. But that's something that you already know.

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

GM made a "turbo" emblem years before Porsche did...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

During the same weekend as the 2000 Rgruppe Cambria event, there was a Corvair club event at the Cambria Lodge. My wife and I made a visit to thier show and I was quite surprised at the quality restorations of some of these cars, vans and pick-ups - remember the pick-up? Anyway, there were a few Corvair guys staying at the same hotel as we were and one guy was asking me a few questions about my Pcar and after hearing the sound of my engine as we drove away, the next day when I saw him his reply was "Man, I gotta get me one of those!"
    Andy Baugh
    RGruppe #48