Thread: Porsche Artwork

Porsche Artwork

I'm a big fan of Nick Watts paintings. I've got 5 or 6 of his Porsche prints hanging on my walls.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

This is a little-known guy who has an interesting style. He doesn't do much Porsche stuff unfortunately. This 917/30 he just did is very cool. Anybody else collect POrsche artwork?

http://www.freewebs.com/ferrari312/index.htm

Man, where do I start? I'm sure my collection is small compared to others on this board, but I've probably go 40-50 Porsche posters in my bigger collection of IMSA/ALMS/LeMans posters. Most are original factory race posters or dealer posters. A few old, but most are from the 80's and later.

But artist specific? I like Dennis Simon's posters and I've got a couple that he did of Porsches. Here are a couple plus a few other favorites.
    Tom Morgan
    Charlotte, NC
    '18 Carrera T - R #368, S #692
    1973 Giulia Super 1.3

Yeah, the problem with art is where do you put it all. There's only so much wall space. I've got stuff rolled up in storage that never sees the light of day, but I continue to buy more!

And try doing decent framing for everything too. I could probably buy my own woodworking shop for the price of framing just the pieces I like, especially the big factory posters. I need a source for inexpensive frames, but the sizes vary so much it's hard to do them without custom work.

Also, I stopped keeping things rolled a few years ago. I did not have room for a flat file, but bought a couple of very large flat boxes from a catalog called Light Impressions. Things are in a lot beter condition this way and don't take up as much storage space either stored under the bed.
    Tom Morgan
    Charlotte, NC
    '18 Carrera T - R #368, S #692
    1973 Giulia Super 1.3

Unhappy too many paintings - too little wall space

I have a number of Nick Watts's prints as well. I have the first 2 you pictured - 73 RSR Targa Florio and the 917 from the le mans film - both on the wall.
    I also have the 96 GT1 #26 car at Le Mans, the Hans Hermann 550 on the wall but ran out of space after that _ only allowed in the study - not the rest of the house

But I also have a few rolled up in storage - the 1970 917 #23 at le mans, the #1 #2 #3 finish at le mans in 1983 and a couiple of others that i cant remember at present

The framing is very expensive here in Australia aswell - almost doubling the price for a good frame but well worth it.

I also have a number of old factory posters - mainly from the 70 - 73 era but again they are all rolled up due to space limitations
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

I just received a Mickey Mouse / Carrera 4-cam engine poster by Howard Shoemaker -- from the artist himself, no less!.. will post a picture once I get it back from being framed. -Evren

There is a shop here in Centerville who works with Watts and is responsible for organizing many of the signed versions of those posters - Classic Impressions. Its nice to have a world class automotive art shop literally one block from the house. (racingpilot.com)
    They are currently working on a 1970 917L print by Roger Warrick which celebrates Vic Elford turning the fastest lap ever at LeMans. It will be autographed by Vic. Pretty cool piece!
    For the Midwest guys, Classic Impressions will be the sponsor for the Vic Elford night at the TajMaGaraj in Dayton in June. They will have some of those prints for sale including some printed on canvas.
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Off of Dave's link to PilotRacing.Com, there is reference to the book Curt mentioned a few months ago: Blue & Orange. FWIW, it is even a few bucks cheaper here than Amazon. Did you get a copy yet Curt? Is it worth geting?
    Hal Michael
    2008 Audi RS4
    2006 Porsche Cayman S
    1970 911 Targa 2.7 (sold)

No, I didn't get it yet. Also, I didn't realize RacingPilot.com was in Centerville??!! I've bought several thngs from them over the internet. How have you managed not to take me there when I'm visiting Dave?