Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some have wondered if I have a real car. Also some info on suspension.

Some have wondered if I have a real car. Also some info on suspension.

I wondered if I could get a title that long.

With all the noise I have made over on Pelican (some 7500 posts), I have discussed very little about driving my own car. My car has been a no show many times when I thought I could make it. I did, the car didn't. Some, who don't go to Pelican a lot, might be thinking this guy is a poser.

Well, a milestone has passed and I have a ride. Not finished by any means. but working. I'm of the school that you put the thing all together and try it out before painting. So, after a couple of false starts, and having to go back and rework something, here it is for the Early S members to see. And R Gruppe members. I don't think Chris H has ever seen it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I like it Zeke. I'd be inclined to leave the body/paint the way it is and enjoy it for a couple years...this way ya don't have to frett over bugsplat and stonechips. Besides, it ruins some bling-boy's day when a flat black ratcar blows his shiney doors off. My body/paint ain't nothing to brag about and it's not about to be redone until I'm satisfied with the mechanicals as well. Rock on brutha!
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

Thumbs up

That is a 'tip of the iceberg' photo if ever there was one. Zeke's car is back from a very terminal case of rust. With a lot of cutting, pounding, shaping, welding... and more hours than I could probably count, he slowly brought that car back from the other side of the grave. It would have been a foolhardy enterprise for just about any 911, even an early one -- but Zeke (aka Milt) started with an actual S, so the end value (not that he'd ever sell it) will actually justify a good deal (if not all) of the journey.

It's a DIY masterpiece. The exact opposite of a checkbook-built R Gruppe car.

Thumbs up

It looks GREAT Milt ... and I never had any doubts...
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

But wait, there's more: As the title suggests, I have a report on my suspension that has not been posted elsewhere. This is for here. I installed the usual polybronze and heavier t-bars. In my case, I selected 21/26 with 19mm adjustable sway bars at each end. I had the car out in this trim with the existing Koni reds dialed up a bit. I had a rear tire rub problem with my 205/50/15s mounted on 7's. So, I had to do some more bodywork to alleviate the typical one side being narrower than the other. You can't tell.

While going at it again, I found time to install some Koni Sports I had on the shelf. I left them at soft for the shakedown. Here's the skinny: The car rides much, much better with the heavier shock. I could almost and honestly tell you that it rides softer. Anyway, the matching of the shock to the t-bar rate really makes a difference.

Hey, a lot of you guys know this already, but we have a lot of members who are still asking and looking around for a set up. While the ride may not please your wife, it's not that bad. In fact, it compares to the Boxster we have. The Box is more refined from the standpoint of the full travel, but just the straight ahead road feel is about the same.

In the twisties, the 911 is a whole new car. I've yet to corner balance and fine tune, so it can only get better.

I had some more pics, but the files are too large. I'll work on it.

I'll try again.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

very awesome milt. i'd like to see a flat black early car with all the brightwork and glossy black p scripts...or white p scripts. hope to see this car someday.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

Bravo Milt! BTW, can you measure thread pitch now?
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Zeke, you definitely DO have a real car. Considering the substancial amount of time, effort, and sweat equity you have invested, your car is far more 'real' than most. And the flat black, rat-rod, look is killer.
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

That's bad, dude. Can't wait to see it at a run or show. Are you going to be at Zone 8 Speed Fest?
    "The 908 Kind"

93 VW Corrado - VR6
    (my Porsche in training)

I have a blog!!

rennlist gallery