Thread: clear plastic for paint protection, any experience please

Question clear plastic for paint protection, any experience please

does anyone have experience with the stick-on stuff? Any comparison to regular bra's? Id like to avoid that if possible (like most men I dont like wearing bras)

DynoDave

Clear bra for paint

Not sure where you're located..., clear bras tend to be a regional item depending upon severity of weather in your area. I used to live in CA & never heard of clear bras. Here in Denver, where the roads are "sanded" in the winter w/ small size pebbles the clear mask is almost a necessity on any nice car. 3M makes a very good material which does not yellow & can be removed in the future without damage to your paint or fear of peeling your paint (if your car has been re-painted) presuming that it was properly prepped. An experienced installer is a must to ensure a professional looking finish w/out wrinkles or air bubbles. Call your local automotive paint supplier for suggestions / recommendations for installers in your area.

Dave

Ditto:

3M. Great product, (optionally) installed by many Porsche dealers since the front of these "new" cars are very prone to chipping. Nearly undetectable to the naked eye. Won't hurt the paint. Very slick, indeed.
    It is best left to a professional installer. Most detail shops are capable. Our local "best" one is Concours. They do them daily.

Good luck,

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

I have installed clear bra on my '91 C2.

I have the headlight protector on my '71 911 and it sacved it once already when a baking pan on the freeway hit my headlight, it ripped the headlight protector but saved my H4 lights from breaking.

It works and it helps from rock chips and othe rflying debris on the freeway.

That stuff honestly looks worse than having some chips. To me by putting that on your car you are preserving the car for the next guy. Stone chips are a measure of how much fun you have had with your Porsche. Just look at my one owner 67 race car!

Best,

Don

Yea, but you paint everthing you buy.

If it's put on correctly you can't see it. Maybe your installers aren't up to snuff.

Best,

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Verry funny Tom. Most of my cars have original paint on their hoods. You can still see that stuff. The texture is different than the paint. Thanks for the laugh.

Best,

Don

You can still see that stuff. The texture is different than the paint.
    There are different films, some makes the paint look like it has orange peel, and some doesn't. I put the 3M stuff, marketed by Xpel, on my VW and besides a line that is visible from some angles, it is very difficult to see that the film is there.
    As far as protection goes, I am a believer. I had a baseball sized clod of frozen mud hit my hood this winter, it scratched and cut the film, and looked pretty ugly, I was worried. I peeled off the film, hand glazed the area and all that remained was a very small chip in the paint, and unfortunately a small dent. The dent was removed successfully with paintless dent removal, and the chip filled with touch-up, and with a new piece of film on, it looks as good as new.
    I have seen some cars with bad clear bra that makes them look dull and orange peeled, but if you get the right material, it is virtually invisable.
    Joe
    Now - 1993 C2
    Past - 1968 911L

3M xpel link here

Thanks for the feedeback...I think I will try the 3m stuff and have it profesionally installed. BTW... This is for my '75 Carrera so it's not TOTAL Early S blasmaphy.

http://www.autosportcatalog.com/inde...id=332&sc=7542