Thread: Late Tank Early Car - Help

Late Tank Early Car - Help

Hi Gang,

Has anyone ever put one of the late model gas tanks in an early car? I'd like the extra capacity.

I have a 71 RS Clone (T based). The new tank is out of a 1987 car. I have both tanks here now and I noticed a fairly large difference in the connections.

My current connections are a banjo fitting for the return and the screened outlet both with female screw fittings on the tank. Both are toward the center of the tank.

The new tank has a simple press-on clamp style outlet (I'm guessing outlet due to the size) and a screw on (male this time) return. Both are toward the outside of the tank.

I'm guessing the outlet on the new tank won't be a problem. Is there a fitting for the return line that I can put in-line?

Any advise from anyone who's BTDT is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

E.
    Eric - Sandy, Utah
    71 911
    914-6/GT
    914-6/ORV
    87 944 Spec 1
    Porsche Truck
    62 Beetle
    80 VW “Caddy” Pickup
    72 R75/5 Toaster Tank
    PMB Performance
    We'll Make Your Calipers New Again
    Love Us On Facebook

Late gas tank

Eric,
    Give me a call at my new work number, 714 546-6939 ext.14
    All the best!
    Roger Grago

I posted a reply to your question on PParts forum first. Forgive me.

Sherwood

Thanks

Thanks Sherwood,

I'm wondering why no need for a return line with carbs? My fuel pump (stock) has a return line in it... Seems like you need a return, but evidently not.

Fill me in.

E.
    Eric - Sandy, Utah
    71 911
    914-6/GT
    914-6/ORV
    87 944 Spec 1
    Porsche Truck
    62 Beetle
    80 VW “Caddy” Pickup
    72 R75/5 Toaster Tank
    PMB Performance
    Love Us On Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Neunelfer
    I'm wondering why no need for a return line with carbs? My fuel pump (stock) has a return line in it... Seems like you need a return, but evidently not.
    You don't need it with carbs, because of the low fuel pressure used (3.5-4.5 psi) compared to MFI or EFI injection, but it is still a nice thing to have. A recirculating fuel system keeps the gas cooler in the fuel rails and float bowls on the carbs, and can help prevent vapor lock and percolation problems. I have a later tank and return line in my '73, which Alex (RussianBlue) had installed with the 3.0 SC engine he had put in it, and when I went with PMO 50s on a 3.4, Steve Grosekemper at Dieter's plumbed them as a recirculating system when we put the new motor in the car.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

Tom,
    I'm sure recirculated fuel in the lines stays cooler. However, I'm not so sure the fuel inside the float bowls is heated from the same source; that being more of a function of heat transfer through the intake manifold and carbs. A return line can't hurt though, but you'll have to plumb in a return line if one doesn't currently exist. If you already have a return line, then it's a simple matter of connnecting it to a later tank.

E,
    To prevent vapor lock from a hot soaked engine, a low cost computer fan on the underside of the grill controlled by a thermal breaker might be all that's needed. Have you installed the PMO heat insulators and performed the anti-percolation modification? Personally, I haven't yet had a need for any extra cooling. YMMV depending on many variables.

Sherwood

Quote Originally Posted by 911pcars
    Tom,
    I'm sure recirculated fuel in the lines stays cooler. However, I'm not so sure the fuel inside the float bowls is heated from the same source; that being more of a function of heat transfer through the intake manifold and carbs.
    You're probably right about this, Sherwood, I was just thinking if the fuel stays cooler in the lines, it can absorb more heat inside the carbs before reaching boiling point. The heat insulators on the manifold are certainly a key ingredient for keeping the carbs cooler. The RVP of today's readily available fuels has increased so much since these cars were built that volatility is a real issue.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

Well... having the current factory fuel pump and factory lines, I already have a working return system. I'll just find the proper adapters to make this new tank work.

I'll call Roger again today to see what he has to offer.

Thanks guys!
    Eric - Sandy, Utah
    71 911
    914-6/GT
    914-6/ORV
    87 944 Spec 1
    Porsche Truck
    62 Beetle
    80 VW “Caddy” Pickup
    72 R75/5 Toaster Tank
    PMB Performance
    Love Us On Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Neunelfer
    I'll just find the proper adapters...
    Pegasus should have them, or Earl's. Roger might be able to have custom lines made up for you, if you specify the length and the fitting on each end.

TT