Thread: Rear Wheel Widening SWB

Rear Wheel Widening SWB

I was talking to Al Reed today about widening wheels and refinishing them. I have discussed several refinishing options with him. I have several regular 15x6 wheels kicking around that may serve as donor wheels to widen.

Has anyone widened any wheels for the rear (NON FLARED/ NON ROLLED FENDER LIP!!!!) for a SWB car. I have my 4.5 x15s but I use deep 6 wheels on all 4 corners for regular driving. I like the positive offset of the deep 6 in the front and rear. I am using a 1/4 spacer and they fit beautiful w/o any rubbing.

Now I would like to get a bit wider rim in the rear. Therefore I can only gain by adding negative offset (inward). I wonder if I can widen a wheel to 6.5 or 7" w/o any issues. I prefer not to use a deep 6 to widen. I do have extras that I can do this with, but I prefer to use a cheaper 15x6 wheel.

Any comments from anyone that has gone this path??

Mike

1967S SWB
    Vollgas!

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar
    Mike;

You can get some R Fuchs - 7's ,They were made to fit the SWB (BIG $)
    You could call Harvey Weidman - he can also make 7's for you
    You could roll the fenders and put on later 7's - or 8's

There are alot of threads on this, do a search here and on Pelican

Good luck;

John

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

I prefer not to modify the body (i.e. roll fender lip) at all. It must remain stock or easy to convert back to original.

What offset does the R wheel have. Is the front of it like a deep 6 or like a regular 15x6/7, or 8. I want to make a close replica of the R wheel. Does the R offset fot the rear w/o modifying the fender lips?

Thanks all,

Mike
    Vollgas!

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar
    Mike;

49mm offset
    same face as deep 6's
    that's what it as made for - to fit the SWB fenders

Go to the S Reg tech page - there is a great chart and specs and diagrams.

John

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606