Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rs #101

Rs #101

Well now that I have learnt how to post pics there is no stopping me now.

Here are a selection of pics of RS #101 which I have slowly been returning to former glories. I have had the seats redone completely, including the frames etc, put back on all the touring trim that was missing when I got the car, replaced the carpet with a set from Mark Waring which looked awesome after I took the hair clippers to it and shortened the total pile and the white fleck which was too prominant

RS #101 started its life in Germany had air con, rear fog light, sunroof, sports seats and radio. It was light yellow.

The car was found in Japan in pieces by an American who works in Japan, he shipped it back to the USA had it re-assembled and repaired and then offerred it for sale at Ventura 2003. I had been looking for about 2 years for a genuine, unmolested car and this car has all its original panels except the front RHS guard and the ducktail. Several well known Porsche people viewed the car and had been advising me on it and others for sale and this one got the green light

I have bought correct wheels done by Harvey, an alloy ducktail from Germany, handbooks in German and all the bits necessary to return it to original when I begin that task. The car had never had its original paint stripped its just been painted over first by red and then by white.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Clyde,
    Looks great. Nice job.

I'm not a historical perfectionist by any stretch, but is the round Durant mirror the one offered on this year? I thought it was the rectangular one.

Sherwood

Clyde,

Nice job on the changes to date. I know how hard it is to find stuff like an AL based Ducktail. Keep up the good work.

Sherwood,

Some of the early series RS cars came with round Durant mirrors. The only cars that I know that came consistantly with them is the RHD cars.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Sherwood,

All my 73 RHD cars have had the round durant so I just assumed the round durant was correct for the RS also but maybe others can verify what it should be for a German delivery RS if known.

It did have only one mirror originally and unfortunately a second was added in Japan and both mirrors shifted as Japan is also a RHD country and I guess it was done to inprove vision (it didn't work though). The weld marks still exist where the mirror was originally so returning it to the correct place will be easy, same goes for the aerial which has been shifted to the opposite side also again I guess due to driving on the left.
    Clyde Boyer

TYP 901 Register Inc #6

I'm with Clyde on the mirror thing...a Brit friend clued me on that one...evidently the round mirror was fitted on '72-'73 cars that have the steering wheel on the right. Maybe a right hand square mirror wasn't available?
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Brian,

The ducktail was a fluke, I bought a small part from the guy on German E Bay and asked if he knew anyone who might have one for sale and he had one but it took 12 mths to convince him to sell it to me. Same guy has also supplied original red cover German handbook now for the really hard one a German blue cover supplement.

Actually I would love a set of original seat belts for the RS if anyone has a real nice set for sale, maybe I should contact my friend again. The other thing I need is the rear fog light and bracket all swithches and wiring is still in place so I just need to find the correct unit and reattach.

I am happy with the seats and carpet and as the interior is basically original under the carpet I don't believe I will change it at all when it comes time for the restoration. I will have to do some minor patching where the air con used to come through but all the yellow paint and black paint is where it should be and I would hate to disturb the original look if I can avoid it. Even the floor pan is remarkably fairly damage free hence the interior sound deadening on the floors is not cracked or broken anywhere at all.
    Clyde Boyer

TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Paul,

I think that is correct I wonder what my LHD RS should have had then was the round durant an option for LHD or did they all have the sqaure version
    Clyde Boyer

TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Quote Originally Posted by 911pcars
    Clyde,
    Looks great. Nice job.

I'm not a historical perfectionist by any stretch, but is the round Durant mirror the one offered on this year? I thought it was the rectangular one.

Sherwood

NICE car Sherwood...Who's car is that!?!?!

Clyde, your car is lookin' GREAT!!!!!!!! GOOD JOB!
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

hi

for 72/73 series the square mirror came with the car for all german cars I have seen so far.
    but you need to take attention, there are 2 sizes for the square mirrors. the ones that usually came with RS were little smaller. I did not figure out yet when they put the larger one or when the smaller one to the cars.

I noticed a lot of 72/73 cars delivered to italy with a round mirror and also a LHD RS...

so the mirror thing is still not yet clear to me. for germany, it is round mirror up to 71 and square 72/73

the second, right side mirror for LHD cars was an option as far as I know. but you see them very rare.

/alex

"NICE car Sherwood...Who's car is that!?!?!"

Stacy,
    It belong to the guy on the left. Anyone know this guy?

Sherwood