Thread: Winter is Over in Chicago

Winter is Over in Chicago

Oh, at last, winter is over, or is it???

Last week, believe it or not - was it Wednesday??? I woke up to see the following image outside my bedroom window. OOHHH NOOOO MMISTERRR BILLL!!!!!

But the snow didn't stop me, I knew that it was going to melt, it wasn't sticking on the street, and they weren't sending any salt trucks out. So I was patient, as I have been all winter, and waited till the weekend. Took a run with my daughter, and ran down to the lake to see if it was warmer there (well, I needed some excuse). Here she is with the water in the background. Hey, she isn't leaning against the car, is she??!?!?!?! HEY DON"T LEAN AGAINST THE PAINT!!!!

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Then I took off to a Porsche Buddy - Souk - the same guy that suggested that someone steal Kermit out of the parking lot while I was stuck in Fredericksburg MD. He has set up a shop in his garage, and does work for lots of guys on the side. He was going to do the inspection of my suspension, and make some suggestions.

He had just gotten his corner balancing scales in house, and we drove Kermit up on the scales. I had never seen corner balancing close up, but had heerd about it. It is basically 4 bathroom scales hooked up to a computer. Here is Kermit getting measured.

Kermit's total weight, with a full tank of gas, but me watching, was 2,437 pounds. That's not bad, with standard sport seats in it, in stock condition! And, the cross weight was 47.5% and 49.5%. Not Bad.

Basically, the weight front to rear was 40% x 60%, which I was told was pretty typical - That was without me in the front seat. Then we did the cross measurements with me in the seat. Here are the numbers from the display. This is as it was delivered to me.

larry

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

He then raised Kermit on a small portable lift he has in his garage, and we crawled underneath, and looked at the suspension.

He made a bunch of suggestions, but there was really nothing that needed to be done immediately. He suggested that I put on Turbo Tie Rod ends, and new ball joints. He said that the suspension bushings both front and rear were original rubber, but they looked OK for now. He suggested a sway bar installation, and freshening up of the torsion bars. This was in light of my desire to do some AutoX next year. And the shocks were some unknown brand, but are still good, so they don't need replacing.

But, in short, he drove the car, and was really pleased with the punch of the engine, and the smoothness of the accelleration. He was blown away by the paint, fit and finish. We both agreed that Kermit needed a rear alignment badly. He measured, and he said (if I remember correctly) that the left tire was about 1.5 deg positive camber, and the right rear was about 2.5 deg positive.

He had another commitment for another car this week, so next week, I'm coming back so he can align the rear, lean out my MFI, and change a fitting on the oil cooler, which is leaking. That should get me in good shape mechanically. I may tackle the Turbo Rods and Ball Joints next winter, but for now, no suspension work is in the offing.

But I am working on the polish of the car. As nice as the car looks, there is a world of difference when it is polished. I attended a PCA Chicago Region Concours class, and they showed us how to polish our cars. What I am using is a combination of 50% Bluemagic Metal Polish, and 50% 3M Imperial Hand Glaze, rubbed by hand in straight motions (front to back) using soft towels (they recommend baby receiving blankets.) I have now hit three body panels out of the eight. Each has been polished between 2 and 3 times. The results are amazing. The finish is really glassine. You can feel the difference between the panels I have done and the others. I'll post some pictures in a couple of weeks. It is truly a labor of love.

I will have Kermit all shined, polished, and ready to run for the Taj this summer.

larry

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Larry, at the '75 Pea-Raid, Monterey Bay Region gave some little signs away to be placed on the cars. I still have a couple of them. They read:
    Unless You are in the
    NUDE!
    Please DO NOT lean on this car!
    Buckles, buttons, and zippers SCRATCH!

You might wish to pass this info on to your daughter...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Cool Larry!

Yep, I hooked my battery up last night. Took it to work today, and it's running pretty good. I just need to make some ignition adjustments, is my feeling.

I have new shocks/struts, so those need to go on. Then I need an alignment and corner balance (I need that regardless).

There's still some spotty weather this week, but it looks like today, tomorrow, and this weekend are looking good!

jay:

Looks like it is getting to be time for a Porsche, Beer, Show and Tell. You want to try to get together before April peters out? I could use some Porsche talking time, and Judy's blank stares just don't cut it.

Not only do I want to show off Kermit in the flesh, but I'd like to see what your T looks like. Maybe with enough advance warning, we can get Helmut and Bernie out (maybe some others as well.)

larry

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Ahhhhh...Larry. I was out cruising the Niagara River parkway myself in my ol black beastie. It ran a touch rough with the fuel stabilizer in there, but a fresh fill with Sunoco 94 octane brought it back to life nicely. Now it purrs (or roars of course when going 90+ mph down the thruway).
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    YEAHHH - Larry's got the polishing religion now! I was taught the process by John Paterek - lots of effort, but the results are AMAZING!

Under a close incandescent light source (shows all tiny scratches). Blue Magic, mixed on a well used soft terry towl with Imperial Hand Glaze, gradually going to all hand glaze as scratches disappear. Rub in the direction of airflow - NOT in circles. Finish off with Blitz Wax, rubbed on like butter, melted with the heat of your bare hand.

Warning!!! Do NOT let your significant other see the bare hand/butter part!! AMHIK!
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

Quote Originally Posted by JCR
    Rub in the direction of airflow - NOT in circles. Finish off with Blitz Wax, rubbed on like butter, melted with the heat of your bare hand.

Warning!!! Do NOT let your significant other see the bare hand/butter part!! AMHIK!
    Jared:

You referring to the fact that Judy will get jealous with my putting all that "bare hand" attention on Kermit (why do you think I didn't name my Viper Green Targa with a women's name!!! ) or the fact that she will want me to bring some of that "butter" inside so that I can . . . . . . . ahhhh nevermind.

larry

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Ewwww...this is where it gets goooey!
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330