Thread: MFI & K&N's - what to do with breather hoses and cold start squirters?

MFI & K&N's - what to do with breather hoses and cold start squirters?

I bought a pair of watershields for my 2.2 S motor and upon taking off the stock air box I am left with two hosesthat were connected at the bottom of the air box. One is is approx 1/2" dia and it goes off out of sight to the front drivers side of the engine. The other is the large breather hose that goes to the oil tank. Any suggestion on how to deal with these?
    Also, what is the best way to deal with the cold start squirters?
    TIA,
    Dave
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

The small hose is the mate to the same sized hose that you see going into the middle of your fan shroud. They both run the length of the body up to the flat oval tank you have (or had at one time on a '70) that is by the drivers side battery. The oval tank is a charcoal cannister that was an early attempt to capture vapors and recirculate them. There is also smaller tubing coming from the cannister that is plumbed into the gas tank. The idea was to recirculate vapors from the engine compartment through the cannister and back to the intake. They all probably stopped functioning decades ago. So when I converted to K&N's, I just hid the one that went to the stock air cleaner among other hoses and left it loose. I have seen people plumb it back in to the watershields but doubt that's really doing much of anything. I have the old style K&N ribbed aluminum hats, so that wasn't an option for me.

For the big hose that goes to the oil tank (the one going to the neck just under the cap), I guess the idea was the same, to put any vapors back into the system instead of the environment. You do want to plumb it to something like a catch tank, because it puts enough stuff out to make things grimy over time aside from not looking very tidy just hanging there. I have this catch can up in the passenger side corner. It looks pretty trick tucked up in there and the hose routing for it stays out of the way of everything. Not real clear in this engine shot, but enough to get the idea.

I have Webers, so can't help you with the squirters -
    John Gray

70 old air
    86 middle air
    95 new air

More than Original
    For the oil breather hose I have seen many remove it and just put a small K&N filter where the hose connects. Not sure if it leaks or how often it would need to be cleaned.

The catch box seems like a nice clean solution but seems to add more weight where you don't need it. John how much oil have you found in that box, could the size be reduced?
    Bret Davis
    1968 911L

That box was welded up out of 1/8 inch aluminum, so only weighs a few ounces. It's about 5x5, but in hindsight could be smaller and do the job fine. I was curious if it was doing anything too, that's why I happen to have a picture of it loose. It had been in there 3-4 years and I took it out to clean it up and check it out. Was happy to not find any of the dreaded chocolate milkshake foam, but it did have the insides coated pretty good with congealed vapor residue and had a thimbleful or two that had condensed to liquid in the bottom. So I guess it does serve the purpose.
    John Gray

70 old air
    86 middle air
    95 new air

More than Original
    So a K&N would probably work fine if you inspected and cleaned it often. The box is smaller and lighter than I thought.
    Bret Davis
    1968 911L

Thanks for the input guys. I modified and installed the K&Ns this evening and got everything pretty well wrapped up.
    For the squirters, I drilled two small holes in the watersheilds and inserted a rubber grommet to hold the brass squirt rails in place. I had to notch the filter slightly to clear the squirt rail. I still need to securly fasten them to the watersheilds somehow.
    I havent decided what to do with the breather hose yet. Im sure I will end up with some type of breather box....just not sure what yet.
    The biggest pain was modifying the linkage for the fuel shut-off switch.
    Dave
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

what John said...

Only, my box is plastic. No problems at all...I see 215 degree oil temp. See the little white box up in front of the oil tank. small pic. I can take more tomorrow if needed.

Frank Beck set this up for me. Shawn.

4th picture down.
    http://d240157.u39.zeonhost.com/foru...ighlight=shawn

edit: and that little plastic box is still clean and dry. It has the benifit of visual confirmation and cost effectiveness (Had I fitted it myself)
    67 coupe roller
    99 M96 2.5 litre
    early911s reg 447
    R Gruppe 399