Thread: Missing Rear Sway Bar and Mount.

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar

Missing Rear Sway Bar and Mount.

My car was missing the rear sway bar when I bought it - the driver side frame mount had broken off (which I know is very common) so I assume a PO just removed and pitched the bar.

Looking for some advice - most sway bar info searched on Pelican regards aftermarket improvements, but I'd prefer to match the stock front bar diameter, and keep things original. What's the best plan here? Find a mounting bracket from a donor car and weld it on?? Is there a kit or procedure anyone has used for replacing/reinforcing these mounts without going to an aftermarket setup? If so, pics would be very helpful.

Anyone have a rear sway bar and/or left frame mount they want to get rid of??

TIA
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

Stoddard has them in their catalog.

I was eyeing them up pending the results at the walnut blasters.

It is amazing what lies under 35year old undercoating.
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.

Jared,
    I just bought a pair of the mounting brackets from Beechmont P/A here in Cincinnati. As I remember the cost was about 50 bucks for the pair. I used the 72/73 parts manual to get the part #.
    I plan to do the same thing to my 73 T that never had a factory rear bar. Although I have the correct rear bannana arms (with the mounting knob), it seems to me that the challenge will be welding the bracket to the body. In 1973, on the left side, the bracket fits between the body and the fuel pump housing. Getting a MIG welder up there (especially with the engine in the car) might be a challenge.
    Let me know how your project goes. I do not plan to upgrade my T with a rear bar until Fall of 2005, at which time I will also add a front bar, a 2.7 liter MFI RS engine, new engine sound proofing and a few other bits of stuff. Hopefully I can learn from your experience.

Will I see you at Taj in June?
    The capitalist Roader, aka John Meyer

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    Thanks John, I'll be at Taj - definitely there to see Quic Vic on Thurs.

I figured getting the parts and install of the bar itself would be the easy part - rewelding the mount the challenge. Wondering what will prevent this weak area from breaking again? Do these new mounts have added structural support? Is there a way to reinforce my intact right side bracket??

The car really handles fine without the rear bar - I do notice a touch more understeer, but not bad at all. Although, now that I'm going to 215/60 tires in the rear - a bit more incentive address the understeer by replacing the sway bar. But... may have to wait until the snow flies again.
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

Jared, you might check with Gary Emory...when I was there last June he had racks and racks of used sway bars, front & rear both. Of course, not the 18mm turbo bar my friend was looking for...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)