Thread: new way to fit S/A calipers on SWB cars...

new way to fit S/A calipers on SWB cars...

I am taking a survey of people who would be interested in a fitment kit on their short wheel base 911/912s to be able to install the 3.5 spaced calipers in front like the S or A type calipers as on the 911S, SC, and Carrera (this will not work on 69-74 911s with-out the S struts I do not think). I have a prototype that is a direct fitment of replacing the original cast iron backing plate on the strut with the 3 inch spacing to a new plate with 3.5 inch spacing needed for the bigger calipers. This will allow you to do two things. First allow wider vented rotors for superior cooling and secondly a larger pad area for firmer and faster braking. The plate will be made out of either Alum.or plate steel and will take less than an hour to install. With S type calipers the unsprung weight will be about the same as well as with the original M type on the car now. The cost will be about $300-$350 for a set (lower if there is a big responce). Like I said, right now this is in a development stage although I can have the first batch ready for summer driving depending on input and interests. This will be an easy bolt on kit that you will not need to find a decent set of S struts
    Michael
    '56 T-1 356 bent window coupe...
    68 911L Burgandy Red R Gruppe #388
    72 911S Coupe, Sepia Brown

I used to run SWB cars a lot. Frankly, if I was not concerned with originality and desired to change front calipers, I would buy some new 4-piston Wilwoods rather than buying aluminum S calipers. The Wilwoods are excellent for the money.
    1970 911S Coupe (Burgundrot) (sold)
    1967 911 Coupe (Light Ivory) (mostly gone)
    1966 911 Coupe (Sand Beige) (sold)
    Van Diemen RF99 Formula Continental
    Citation F1000 on the way
    Van Diemen Hayabusa SCCA Formula S (sale pending)
    Other Early 911/912/914

I don't see a 911 application on the Wilwood website.

Talking

For what its worth, after looking at the prospect of upgrading my 67 911 normale to vented discs in front, I decided to buy an entire front suspnsion from a 1978 911SC for around $650 two years ago. It included vented discs, aluminum S calipers and Bilstein struts, sway bar, turbo tie rods etc. Took the old one off and had the new one on in less than an hour. Well worth the money considering the amount of labor, parts and money that would have been needed just to upgrade to vented discs. No one would even give me $50 for the old one...

dsfctn on the pelican board adapted plates to fit 3.5" brakes on his 67. i believe it's for sale.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

roblav,

I looked at the Wilwood site, and they do not have a Porsche application. Although Dullis Motorsport does a retrofit and I am awaiting a call from them. I will let you know what they say and cost.

gruen911,

I have thought of doing this conversion as well. There seem to be a few issues. 1) I kind of like the qwerky originality of my car now and dont want to change what I dont need to. 2) Good straight Bilstein or Koni Struts out of a wrecked 911 are becoming harder to come by and the price seems to be going up...I have the original konis now and dont want to go backwards to Boges... 3) I thought a quick bolt on app to just add cooling to the front brakes at a reasonable cost would be nice for many non S/L 911s <69 and all 912s. The A calipers off an SC can be had for cheap cheap and have plenty of bite. MY only other issue is in the rear now where the L caliper is of 2.25 spaceing... That will not fit an M caliper so either find an S spaced L caliper or find another type off a BMW or MB that will fit with the venting...any ideas there?

Bob,

I did a search for dsfctn and did not find him on Pelican. This is great if someone has already done this mod...if you have the link send it over please.

Cheers,
    Michael
    '56 T-1 356 bent window coupe...
    68 911L Burgandy Red R Gruppe #388
    72 911S Coupe, Sepia Brown