Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hill Climb anyone?

Hill Climb anyone?

My first post here but I have met a few of you.

Just a heads up on what I think will become a must do event in the future. I recently gained permission to use a closed circuit hill climb on a old section of state highway in Idaho. Randy Wells and I have talked a bit and hopefully RGruppe will get a chance to preview this drive mid summer and later on during an official event that will be run 24/25 of September '05.

If you have ever wanted to experience driving the great mountain passes of Europe here is a similar experience but on a closed road here in the USA. There are 5 more just like it in the area but all are also open to the public.

Here is a description of the road:

"8.5 miles long. Has 62 turns and 17 switchbacks. The straight aways will get you 100+mph if you have the stones for the 2nd gear banked corners on each end with major disaster potential. It could be a wild ride! The drive gains momentum as you gain height and the straights become shorter, the banks higher, the hair pins even tighter as the drop off on each corner grows to over 3000 feet! Comforting thought if the brakes fail or you hit a corner a little hot."

There is going to be a "test" session which unfortunately conflicts with the St Helens RGruppe event May 21st.

Decent is via a the freeway which runs along side the old grade.
    This is not a race and there is no official timing.

Nearest town is Grangeville Idaho. Hill is 20 minutes away.

www.spyderautomobiles.com .au

Mt Buller Sprint video

Hi Dane,

Thought it timely to share a little hillclimb video from 'down under'! The Mount Buller Sprint is a highly contested event held in January (high summer here). 16kms and a climb of over 3300feet (mixing my measurements, I know!). Really great mate Mark entered this year in his stunning 3.2 Carrera CS (It's OK he's an ex early 911 owner/club racer). Had a ball, did pretty respectable times and is definitely going back for more next year. Here's hoping the link works

http://www.pcv.com.au/video/2005pmbs.wmv

It's kinda long, but dial up the volume and enjoy the scenery!!!

Cheers,
    Lisa
    Lisa Gregory
    Early 911S Registry #726

www.spyderautomobiles.com.au

That is awesome, thanks!

The big Rallys down under is what got me started with all this.

Lisa,

That's a GREAT VIDEO !!!!

Very similar to some of the roads here in SoCal, Central Coast, and NorCal

BTW - There will be a 'fun run' in Sept. from the Ventura Show probably ending up at our Registry's 15th Anniversary party... on roads very much like those in your video... we will make sure that we have some empty seats so you guys can come along...and enjoy...

Cheers, and thanks
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

3300 feet in 10 miles has got to be fun!

Dane,

We're having the ol last minute pizza with Mark and his wife Gabby tonight...he doesn't know I have posted his "handiwork" up here yet! He was feeling pretty "blokey" about his great time up the "hill", that is until Jim Richards went up in a high 8 minute run in a GT2! Even Jim admitted he won cos he had BAGS of grunt to pull him up that climb. You can hear Mark's car struggle in parts and she's a VERY healthy CS (did a "freshen-up" for him before this event). Targa rules preclude us from changing very much, so we had to find more horses the hard way! Nearly 300 neddies ain't bad out of one of these...and I love the fact that he USES the car, despite it's rarity.

Mark often has the camera mounted when he comes on a run with TYP901, so I'll make sure to post more video footage particularly of the early cars in full flight (well almost full flight - bit expensive on the wrong side of the law).

Cheers,
    Lisa
    Lisa Gregory
    Early 911S Registry #726

Chuck,

No need to ask this girl twice; I'M IN How does that song go?..."California here I come".... Thank you for the invitation - I'm feeling very spoiled now!

My kids are counting me down to my 40th birthday (I am IGNORING them - it's still more than a month away - just)...the best thing about turning 40 is my birthday pressie to me - I've passed over the diamond tennis bracelet, the Desmo (I would look GREAT on a Ducati at 40) and a couple of other little niceties...COS I COMIN' TO VENTURA INSTEAD! So, first drinks are on me in celebration OK!

Cheers,
    Lisa
    Lisa Gregory
    Early 911S Registry #726

Yeah I got a ride in Staceys 2.8 Ruf RS last year been looking for horses in mine ever since
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Lisa I think the Duc is a grand BD idea idea...pictures in full flight are madatory however?!

Quote Originally Posted by Dane
    Lisa I think the Duc is a grand BD idea idea...pictures in full flight are madatory however?!
    Hehe - followed by pics of 6 months worth of rehab. if I'm stupid enough to come off...the Duc might have to wait til I don't have to drive the kids around everywhere...60th b/day is looking good (whether I will then I'm not so sure!)

And Clyde, those horses you want are in there; they just take $$$$ to let em out!

Lisa
    Lisa Gregory
    Early 911S Registry #726