Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: H1 lenses; will they fit H4s?

H1 lenses; will they fit H4s?

I am really, really tempted:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=4539710336

Will they fit, will I get pulled over (Washington State) and is this a reasonable price?

The look is quite striking.

They will physically fit but will play havoc with the light beam - not recommended.
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

That's the info I needed. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by andyjboy
    They will physically fit but will play havoc with the light beam - not recommended.
    Andy said it well. With H-4 lights, you won't see where you're going....but gee, don't "yeller" colored lenses look cool? Not on my car with H-1's...no way, no how. You see, only France uses "yeller" lenses... to my eye, "Yeller" lenses are dumbsh!t...just "stylin", like 20" wheels on an SUV. Bling-bling. No function...(edit) But you know? "yeller" is a color that somehow agrees with France...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Yellow lensese are: a. probably illegal...

... in most U.S. States and could even be thought of as dangerous since they look like the back lighting of many cars.

-Allen-

Wrong. Yellow lenses do have a function. They cut the short wavelengths. This was thought to reduce glare & bounce back in fog. Later tests made this inconclusive, but some still like it. A sharp cutoff as in the Litronics will work far better.

Seems to me that there's always a set ot those on EvilBay. I wonder if they made yellows in H4? I have yellow plastic for the track.

Ya know, making a bondo cast of some H4 lenses and making a vacuum box would be a pretty easy way to make plastic yellow covers for H4 lenses. Vacuum forming is super easy, if you've never tried it. Thanks for the idea, Zeke!

The French H-4's use a yellow bulb, or a yellow glass "slip cover" over the bulbs.

The plastic h-4 covers are already in production, can't remember who makes them, but Gary at Partsobsolete knows, as they have them on some of their vintage racers. (509 835-2300).

Sorry you don't like those frenchy lenses Paul, you know both Schmidt and I run them.

In terms of legality, both Jeff and I have alternative driving lights on our car that is run in tandem with the headlights, so we are theoretically legal.

Eric

That blue car is the pic that inspired my desires. I thought I had a copy of it, but couldn't find it. Thanks for the post.

BTW, Eric, are you back in town? Call or email if you are available today or tomorrow night.