Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ducktail

Ducktail

Hi I am new here but I have been watching for months and astounded by the detailed knowledge you guys have. I have learned so much and can't thank you enough.
    Anyway, to my first posted question;

Does a genuine original ducktail have a part number stamped on it? Is it definitely aftermarket if there is no part number? If there is a number, where is it located and what does it look like?
    Thanks in advance
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

If it's genuine, it'll have a glassfiber skin over the steel frame (somebody correct me if I'm wrong...) whereas most – if not all – aftermarket types are all glass.
    Cornwall
    UK

Hi Mike and welcome.

Here is an extensive thread that was going a little while ago that may help out. There were no part #s on the original factory ductails and they were either made from an aluminum or steel engine lid frame with the fiberglass part laminated onto the frame.

http://d240157.u39.zeonhost.com/foru...light=ducktail

Oh by the way you need to post some photos of RS 1551, please.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Brian

Thanks for the welcome and for the link which told me all I need to know as usual! Will check on the info on how to post a picture but I did e-mail a shot of my car to Tom(sithot) so maybe he would oblige in posting the pic meantime.Thanks to all once again
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    Early S reg. #681

Here are a couple of shots of Mike's LHD RS Touring (ex-Italy) that he posted about a year ago on the DDK forum here in the UK:

Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Early production RS cars used an aluminum base which was bonded to the ducktail lid. I have one in my possession that needs some minor repair to it (aluminum latch plate is cracked) before it can be used. It's a real one complete with the grill and 2.7 badge.

The steel ones are fine as well and were used all through later production and into the '74 US Carrera production with minor changes for the license lights since these were different on the 5mph bumper cars.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Mike,

As far as I've learned, the part # for a factory ducktail is 901.512.001.61 (guys, double check this please) ... Also, the # does not show up anywhere on the tail itself.

Cheers,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Andy
    Thanks for posting pics.That was last July when the gorse was in full bloom here in Bonnie Scotland

Tom
    Thanks for your info. Do you still have the pic of my car? Obliged if you could post as I have not worked out how to do this yet. Can you pm me about the availability of you ducktail

Chuck
    I am sure this is the correct part number for the ducktail and I have seen one with this number attached to a tail on a small rivetted plate on the inside edge on the left side. Wondered if this was a one off or if anyone else has this. Maybe someone just made the plate up with there own stamp?

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    Early S reg. #681

Mike,

Your RS looks great, don't often see a black '73 Carrera. Did your Ducktail walk away too? The first owner of my car took the original tail off in the mid '70s in favor of the newest spoiler which gave him better stability on the track. Unfortunately he gave it away at the time.

Do you have a photo of the part # tag on a Ducktail? That would be interesting to see. None of few I have seen have this anywhere on the part.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Brian
    My car is complete with ducktail as you see it in the photo. The tail with the tag was on another duck I saw and hence my original question about genuine parts because my tail does not have a tag. It seems no one else does either!! so I assume it was a one off. Sadly no photo.
    My RS was changed to black many years ago in Italy. Originally chatreuse which I love.
    Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    Early S reg. #681