Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Restoration photo archives?

Restoration photo archives?

For those who haven't been following this http://d240157.u39.zeonhost.com/foru...ead.php?t=6024
    please do. So, we want a photo record of undisturbed or close to undisturbed early 911 cars? It seems to me that we should work up a schematic of sorts for what parts of a car we want to photograph, how each pic should be framed. That way, such archives would be consistant from car to car. Any ideas? Would this website be large enough to handle all the pics?
    Maybe we should start this off by asking those in the process what they would like in the way of visual references, or pics they wished they'd had as things went along?
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

OK Paul, I kinda helped get you into this so I'll post some ideas. It's logical to take this in some kind of order, I'll start with this and see what you think:

1. Engine A. stickers-- location, verbage, color etc.
    B. Intake, air cleaner housing, stacks, linkage
    C. fan housing, pulley etc.
    D. Wiring, plug routing, vacuum routing etc.
    E. sheet metal
    F. under side of deck lid
    2. Exhaust A. heat exhangers (I know, find a lift somewhere, don't crawl
    under there, you'll be there for hours
    B. Muffler, straps etc.
    C. hot air hoses etc.
    3. Transmission I know I'm pushing it here but it would be nice to
    see the original look of a trans...

From there the interior could take lots of shots, dash, gauges, carpet, front and rear seats, headliner, seat belts

Ok, that ought to take you through the next few months.... You're right though, if we're going to do this, do it in some logical sequence, it could be the start of some very good archival stuff for others trying to restore a car.
    I like the fact that your car is no concours creme puff, it's a street creme puff, just about like we'd all dream of having. OK Ansel Adams, it's up to you.
    Bruce Herrmann
    '73 911S

Bruce...since you are the only guy to post what you want, how's this for a deal? You send me film, 35mm, B&W or color, SAE of your choice. Or films? so I can load 2 cameras. I have a point & shoot with flash, the old strobe flash I bought for my SLR set-up no longer works. I'll do my best with the cameras I have, and send you the undeveloped rolls. Think over your list carefully, modify as you like, and I'll do my best. Whether or not you choose to post anything here after scanning is up to you...Send your final list with the film. Sound fair? BTW, how's Gibson? (edit)
    FWIW, here are the shots Evren took of my dash, left to right, giving you views of gauges, knobs, etc. All as built, back in July of '72. Hey guys, I'm NOT bragging here! It just dawned on me that with all these "restored" cars out there, all beautifully done, the time will soon come that nobody will really have a clue how the factory actually did it....because no examples of what to try to replicate will be left.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Paul and all:
    I would also be glad to take pictures of my car. It is not as clean as Paul's super car but it is still original. Let me know what pictures you need, I do have a digital camera. There are several other owners on this board that should take detail pictures of their cars.
    Bill Cilker, Jr.
    Gold 72 911S
    31 Ford Model A
    PCA, Early S Registry (#98) & RGruppe (#272)
    Rotarian

Paul I have some pics of your car too, if you need them...
    scott kinder
    kindersport@gmail.com

Registry #614

9110220587 - 1973 RSR revival in progress
    My Car Thread: "Five-Eighty-Seven..."
    “If it isn't there, it didn't cost anything, it doesn't weigh anything and can't break." - From the philosophy of Grady Clay

Scott, You & I both know your age...but that means zilch as far as behind the lens talent goes. Please forward your pics of my car to Bruce, okay? I think he'll appreciate them.

OK Paul, I'll get out some film and a list and we'll get going. I can scan them
    with no problem so just send them along. On the first roll I'll have you send both the prints and the negatives, I'll see which one scans best.
    This board is pretty easy to post photos on but if anyone wants help, just send the photos to me and I'll post them and archive them as well on some form of media that might be around for a few years....

Gibson says hello, he's doing well for an old cat, nobody ever told him
    to slow down in his old age.
    Bruce Herrmann
    '73 911S

- people might also state what angle they need

- also refering to the PET might help decide what pics would be good to have

Bruce? Tell Gibson that I understand...

Here's another suggestion. The picture size supported by the forum is pretty small. Not to mention all the data that was lost by the hack. It would be easy to take many large format pics of a car and then burn a CD. That way each car used as a reference could have it's own CD. We could do as many models seperately as possible or by specific options such as sunroof details, foglight details, rear windshield, gas heater.....CDs could be sold very cheaply just to offset costs.

Paul is right. As more cars get restored the references will change. Time to document them now while they exist unchanged.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586