Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ahhhhrrrg!!!

Angry Ahhhhrrrg!!!

Ok, so I go for a nice sunday drive with the family in the 68. We go to brunch at a fancy downtown Spokane destination. The valet (now you see whats going to happen), takes my car to just park out front (he knows me and the car and has, over time, convinced me that he is responsible enough to drive it 10 feet to sit in fron in the turn around.) The rest is history. He gets out and FORGETS to set the E brake and she goes down the street to collide into a stationwagon.
    So much for a 38 year old paintjob! Her name was glucklich, although the name didn't help today.

Anyway, I will be needing a few items as she is going to the metal/resto shop on Tues bill paid for by the hotel...

H1 assembly drivers side, (yes, my last ones were stolen this last Fall and now this!...Rick C, you have another one?)
    SWB front turn lenses (french style)
    SWB bumper and trim moulding with amber hellas
    possibly a hood although I hope it is fixable
    possibly a drivers fender although may be fixable as well.

I hope to keep as much orgininal steel as possible. The paint will need to be stripped to the bare as there was lots of patina and age cracks that will be impossible to blend...Oh well at least we were not in the car.
    Michael
    '56 T-1 356 bent window coupe...
    68 911L Burgandy Red R Gruppe #388
    72 911S Coupe, Sepia Brown

Michael,

I really feel for you. Have fun working with the insurance company. Even though they are 100% liable for the repairs, they won't want to pay to have the car repaired properly. Good luck.
    Neil
    '73 911S targa

Dang...lousy turn of events. It must really hurt to the core if it was a survivor car. What's happened has happened and we can't fix that...but we can make those chumps at the hotel fix that car to within an inch of a total resto....hehe. Here's to a speedy recovery bud.
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

Yes Paul, Neil...very unfortunate indeed. Gluicklich was a true survivor with about 60K on here (turned over the big six oh last weekend.) Although I am not the original owner, it does appear that she has not had any accidents in her almost fourty years. A small ding next to the left horn grill and another small ding on the top of the fender near the gas cap and thats it....untill today that is. Her slate grey paint had patinaed quite well, and besides lots of crazing spiderwebing on the deck lid and a few other places, her paint was quite glossy. Now looks like a complete strip down paint job is in order...DURING THE DRIVING SEASON! BTW, any good sources on valuations for my arsenal? I seem to recall someone posting a good sportscar value page last year after BAs value in Excellance...
    Michael

Michael...I cry for your personal loss. No matter the skill involved, the car will never be the same. That's why I feel we need a photo archives. Filed pics of how things looked when the factory assembled this or that. Without it, we're lost. The krap that happened to you can happen to any of us...I could decide to go for a run tomorrow, weather permitting. Anything could happen...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Michael,

To get a hand up on the insurance, start researching comps. right now. I know from experience unfortunately that insurance companies will try to minimize their losses and will jack with values (BA is low BTW). You need to present a good list of comps. so they can't lowball you. I would use this site's classifieds as a source as well as Pano. Since you car was original, you will want to ask for diminished value.

I spent months arguing with the claims department that the repair costs from the SHOP OF MY CHOICE were correct. It wasn't until I mentioned diminished value that I got somewhere. I would also go to the Pelican Parts BBS and do search for insurance claims. You will get a wealth of information there.
    Neil
    '73 911S targa

B-b-buy Bushwood?!?!
    I hope you invoked the Immediate Gratification Against Idiot Valet Law which allows you to castrate the offending valet with a dull rock in a public place of your choosing.
    Sandy Isaac
    '69 911E

That sends some visuals Sandy...
    Actually I feel for the kid. He is a Porsche nut and has always had my car parked out front away from the others under the porch area. He called me since the incident saying how bad he feels...FWIW.

Anyway, anyone have dealt with Hagarty recently? Just wondering what to expect when I see the adjuster and talk to the hotel mgt in the am...

Thanks all for your concern. Im sure this will be resolved to my satisfaction soon enough

Cheers,
    Michael

Hi Mike

I am some way away but I probably have most of the parts you need apart from the fender
    Nick Moss - Early 911S #476 - RGruppe #318 - early911.co.uk

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar
    [QUOTE=mjmoran]That sends some visuals Sandy...
    Actually I feel for the kid. He is a Porsche nut and has always had my car parked out front away from the others under the porch area. He called me since the incident saying how bad he feels...FWIW.

QUOTE]

Mike;

That's a very noble sentiment , Bravo !- I'm sure the kid feels worse than any of us do.
    I hope the Karma comes back to you big.

Sorry and Good luck to you;

John

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606