Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 67 911S - questions about S models

67 911S - questions about S models

Hello ,

I have an 67 911S, originally White. Can anyone decifer this Vin/Chassis# 306411S Build# 68-6604-G Engine # 961538 5spd 901 gearbox
    Im not sure if I should restore or just drive.....

Any help would be appreciated..... hairmosa@wi.ww.com

Thanks,

Clarence

Restore it! Get those flares and bumpers back to stock and you'll have a (valuable) beauty! The numbers are in (roughly) the same series per the doctor's book, but the only way to know if the engine is indeed the original is with a Kardex ($110 from PCNA - ripoff).

Get rid of all that Turbo look on it. It's an early 1967 - chassis number is close to my old one, and the wipers reside on the passenger side. It can be a beauty again.
    1970 911S Coupe (Burgundrot) (sold)
    1967 911 Coupe (Light Ivory) (mostly gone)
    1966 911 Coupe (Sand Beige) (sold)
    Van Diemen RF99 Formula Continental
    Citation F1000 on the way
    Van Diemen Hayabusa SCCA Formula S (sale pending)
    Other Early 911/912/914

Restoring is a broad term. Looks like you will have to source a long hood, fenders, early bumper, turn signals ($$$$$$), quarter panels, rear bumpers, ?license plate panel, body trim and deco bits, front latch panel, and whatever the interior requires. Another option would be to make a nice period "911R" car out of it. You will need much less hard to find trim pieces and you can go with a more spartan look. A good "911R" may be worth as much (or more??) than a restored 911s unless it is done damn good. The engine and drive train can be left stock.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Mike
    1967 911S ("original"-ish condition)
    Vollgas!

Is it Worthy??

Get the paperwork from Porsche for the "Certificate of Authenticity" - it's the only way you can check the Chassis number to the engine number and the transmission serial numbers.

As a comparison my body number is about 500 larger than yours while the engine number is about 500 less than yours. It's in the right series but "may" or "may not" be the original engine to the car. The serial number on the trans should be around 104xxx and be a Type 901/02.

Had some locals scratching there heads as I cut off SC flairs to bring back a 1967 911S to original fenders. You have to really squeeze to get anything larger than a 205 rear tire on the original car but the narrow fenders just look right.

Your car can be returned to 1967. But, it will be pricey to do it right - it'll cost far more than the value of the car. Have a conversation with Rick Kabel about the restoration costs for even a partial restore let alone a top money machine. As an example look at the rear suspension, did they change to the lengthened rear arms to match the wheels to the fender openings and lose the original banana arms (with sway bar studs and the one year only vented rear brakes).

Or, you could use it as a basis for a 1967 911R clone.

Or you could put in that 3.6 ltr engine add some rear wheel spacers and have a ball with the car. What ever turns your crank.

Most folks here would hate to see another early "S" languish in the hells of short hood- turbo guise. The 1967S's are all worthy to be brought back, it's just a matter of money and time. (Bring ton's of both).

Bob

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    Oh dear... look at that poor thing! If the motor's original, restore as an S.
    If not, do a 911R replica. just PLEASE get that damn wing off it ASAP!

You could also sell as is, and put the $ towards a nice S, E or T that somebody else has restored/protected... saving yourself LOTS of time, money and anguish.
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

OR...put some fatter rear wheels on that rascal and just drive the snot out of it. Like the song goes: "If you can't destroy it, might as well enjoy it". That poor ol gal is gonna rob you of your financial future restoring it.
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

67S question - restore or not?

This car will be a big and expensive project if you try to restore it exactly to stock. However, being a '67S it's definitely worth bringing it at least part way back. The Turbo look doesn't work at all on the car in my opinion and significantly devalues it. Other than paint, removing the rear flares and installing the proper ones and possibly changing the front chassis nose piece (if necessary), you can probably do most of the other work yourself. Acquiring and changing the front fenders, bumpers, hood, and rear deck lid are all pretty straightforward and not difficult. I agree with the comments to make it an RGruppe style car. i.e., do it in the stlyle of an early 911S racer. It will look good and you won't go broke getting all the stock trim, etc.

I'm in the process of finishing up a '67S coupe I bought a couple of years ago. Fortunately it hadn't been flared but it needed a lot of other cosmetics including redoing the interior, replacing the front fenders and bumper, rear license panel, deck lid, a complete paint job, etc. The driveline is good and it's a numbers matching car and worth the trouble. Other than the paint job I was able to do everything myself and it wasn't expensive. I have a '73S race car so I'm doing the '67S as a lightweight rally car and plan to rally it. By doing it this way I'm not replacing all the trim, etc. which is saving time and money. However, I'm making sure not to do anything that can't be easily undone (i.e., no flares) in case I want to convert it to the completely stock look in the future.

Finally, if you decide a big project is not on your agenda then sell the car as is and purchase another early 911 which you can drive and enjoy without all the work and expense of this project. Good luck.

Thanks for all the input......

based on the advice im looking into restoring/replicating. I havent seen any replica original front clips, rear quarters available...... does anyone have a source for these parts? Can I use a clean 912 for body parts?

If anyone has done an R replica.... how much did it cost you? Were all of the parts neccesary available via aftermarket? And if I dive into this project..... what is a good replica conversion worth?

I really love cars and feel this one needs some love.... Id hate to see her suffer any longer. Here are some more pics.....

Clarence
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Man, that interior looks CLEAN. I wouldn't strip it out to make an R clone. You could do an exterior R look car, but that interior looks sweet. A far as the body goes, check out autoatlanta.com for sourcing body panels. Never used them, so I can't speak to their operation, though.