Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OE Floor Mats - '70 S

OE Floor Mats - '70 S

Just purchased a '70 S... needs floor mats ASAP. Quick question (I'm a bit confused by the Stoddard catalog): were early 911s (the '70 S in my case) equipped with floor mats by the factory? Or were they simply carpeted, leaving the supplying of floor mats to aftermarket producers? In Stoddard, I saw the "interior mats" section, but this appears to be "carpet sets," which I assume is a different thing. I know my carpet is perlon, so where do I go next?

I don't recall specific "factory" mats...most were supplied by the aftermarket back then. Here in the USA, "coco mats" were extremely popular. Today, they are still available in the aftermarket in a variety of colors. The ones today also come with a rubber backing which keeps them from moving around as much as the oldies without backing. They can make mats without backing if you prefer, though I can't imagine why. www.cocomats.com Here's a pic of the set I bought last year. Whoops..things moving slow on my computer, can't attach the pic...sorry.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Just checked out the Cocomats site. Did you purchase the "custom" option mats for your car? How do they fit? Any slippage?
    1970 S Coupe Metallic Green

I bought their standard 4 piece set...it fit well when I got it...but I did wait a month or two. Evidently, they have the patterns down pat, but only begin the production after they have a confirmed order. Mine fit perfectly, no slips. I'll try again on the pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Thanks for the pictures. They look great!

My car (also Met. Green) has sisal mats, a tighter weave than the coco mats and they are virtually indestructible. They were very common accessories when these cars were new but are hard to find now. Mine date all the way back to the '70's when aftermarket companies could still put the Porsche logo on the rubber heel pad and are still in excellent shape. Sisal mats are thinner than the coco mats and keep the dirt on top of the mat. The cocomats website FAQ has said they are tooling up for sisal mats for at least a couple of years but they still aren't available from them. Sisal mats are available from these guys however, and look to be very good quality -

http://www.roadworksauto.com/sisalmats.htm

If you want the real type carpeting or mats underneath, check out Autos International - http://www.autosintl.com/
    John Gray

70 old air
    86 middle air
    95 new air

mats

I bought a brand new '70 S IN 2/71 DEALER LEFT OVER;THERE WERE NO FACTORY FLOOR MATS,THE DEALER GAVE ME S CHOICE OF SISAL OR COCO;I WANTED COCO THE DEALER DELIVERED IT WITH SISAL,SAYING THAT THE SISAL WOULD HOLD UP BETTER,I WAS ALWAYS ANNOYED WITH THAT,BUT AGAIN THERE WERE NO FACTORY MATS.IT WAS ALSO IRISH GREEN

I ran sisal before buying these cocos...I'll admit they wore well. I won the sisals as a door prize @ a PCA function back in the '70's. My main complaint was that they could slip...with only little serrated plastic buttons on the back side to keep them in place. Driving to Cambria '01, my co-pilot fell asleep...his feet moved, placing the passenger mat over the gas pedal, then under my clutch & brake pedals. Luckily, I was able to pull it out of the way in time to come to a halt at the rapidly approaching stop light. Right then, I decided to make the switch. The sisals were given away @ last year's Emory swap meet. They may be found in Cris's car Hope he found a way to keep them planted. I'd suggest duct tape if he uses them over the lightweight rubber "carpeting" in his '69.

Cocomats appears to have a "universal" size, but I believe they aren't a manageable fit on Porsches on account of the floor-mounted throttle. I'll definetely go with the "custom" mats.

It's great you got out of that scrape caused by slippage... almost had that happen a few times in my Pop's 912. Happens even more often at start up. Gotta make sure to get the ribbed version.

Like every other kind of product, there are good ones and bad ones. These ancient sisals were not only rubber backed but also have nylon teethed grippers at strategic points. They don't move anywhere. Also have a great fit around the pedals. With the Porsche logo on the heel pad, they were obviously made for specific cars. These suckers have to be at least 30 years old and still do the job. Due for a good cleaning at the moment - I spray them with a degreaser and hose them off about once a year and they look like new again.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    John Gray

70 old air
    86 middle air
    95 new air