Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Purchase recommendation needed!

Purchase recommendation needed!

Gentlemen,
    I need your purchase recommendation, please.

After shying away from a 2.2 S in Vienna (rather expensive if beautiful), I have now found two very interesting cars locally.

The first car is a 1973 2.4 S Coupe in Grand Prix white with a black lwt RS interior. The car was converted by the current (second) owner, a retired Mercedes development engineer, to RS 3.0 spec (body, wheels and suspension with 930 brakes). The engine was modified to 2.8l (RSR p/c) at Porsche Weissach - I saw the bills and the print out (230 bhp). The car is immaculate and drives very well.

The second car is currently being rebuilt by the gentleman. It is a blue metallic 1971 2.2T that is converted in every detail to 2.2S spec (oil cooler, 2.2S engine, brakes, suspension). The car has an immaculate black interior with original sports seats.

Now, the question is: which car to take given that the price is the same. Both cars are not original. I want to participate in historic events like Tour de France or Ennstal Classic, Cento Ore Classic di Modena.

Gentlemen, I am very grateful for your advice. I am also considering converting the 2.4S to stock body (partially financed by selling off the RSR wing, spoiler and Fuchs wheels).

Anatol

Perhaps study the rules of the events you mentioned? See if both cars fit within the rules? If so, then I'd suggest driving both, buy the one you find most enjoyable..
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Agree - the first thing one does to run in any competition (or competition-like) events is to read (and memorize - lol) the rule book.
    1970 911S Coupe (Burgundrot) (sold)
    1967 911 Coupe (Light Ivory) (mostly gone)
    1966 911 Coupe (Sand Beige) (sold)
    Van Diemen RF99 Formula Continental
    Citation F1000 on the way
    Van Diemen Hayabusa SCCA Formula S (sale pending)
    Other Early 911/912/914

Same price? Yikes...the nut in me says take the first one. It sounds like a true rod...but alas, one must read the requirements first before choosing. Perhaps you could post pics here so the collective wisdom can drooool, errr, help you decide.
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    Assuming both meet event rules and are of equal condition, I'd go with the 2.4S. If the bumpers were changed to a 3.0 RS look, I'd want to bring them back to the longhood RSR style - maybe using carbon fiber parts. I'd keep the flares since already done, and they probably look great.
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

I second JCR's opinion.

Gentlemen,
    thank you for your replies.
    I tend to go with the 2.4 S, too. The 2.2T/S is beautiful but from my 964-experience I know that I would do all the mods to suspension, engine etc already done on the 2.4.
    Both cars would qualify for the races I want to attend.
    Here are some scans. I hesitated to post shots in the first place because the 2.4 is currently fitted with a flat nose and 934 spoiler which would be swapped before purchase for the correct items.
    However, my daughter is rather sceptical about that big loud white car with its big wings...
    Anatol

B-b-buy Bushwood?!?!
    I can't think of a single good reason anyone should buy a faux slantnose.
    Sandy Isaac
    '69 911E

Except to convert a valuable car back to stock...

B-b-buy Bushwood?!?!
    It would take so much more money to bring that specific car back to stock than to buy a stock '73 911S.
    Sandy Isaac
    '69 911E