Thread: Early S Video

Early S Video

I just grabbbed this from a post on Pelican. If you don't enjoy it, you must not have a heart beat:

http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96781308/K=po...Stracktest.mpg

Right-Click, then "save target as..."

It's a cool video. But what struck me about it was how much -- to me -- the early car ends up 'looking like' a modern car, in spite of the fact that it obviously isn't. The tight suspension on it is just so... un-early-car-like.

Does that make sense?

I get used to the early cars being sprung crazy loose for those old-time rubber tires. Like this:

The main web page for the movie said in german that the 2.4S lapped the track faster than a 996. Stock suspension, it ain't...

English,english,english, What Else Are They Saying In The Video(great Pictures ) I Just Don't Understand A Word They Are Saying

Smile

Guys,
    Just saw the video and I speak German. First, if you noticed in the video, the car looks like a 2.4T (look at the tach gauge which shows redline at 6,600 - not 7,300). It refers to the early 911S model, but doesn't state that this particluar car is a real original 911S. I am guessing that it is a 2.4 911T. I also thought in one angle of the car that I saw the oil filler door on the right rear fender area as it was driving away.
    Secondly, the video says in German that the car has been "leicht modifiziert" or lightly modified. Don't recall if the 2.4T had rear sway bar set-up but one can clearly see in the video that this car has one. As for having a faster track time than a 996, the video states that this car had a better test time than the modern 911 (they don't say specifically say which modern car). Perhaps they are refering to the 996? Wouldn't surprise me though. Would have been nice to see what the engine bay looked like....Leicht modifiziert could be a euphemism for a 2.7 RS engine!!! It certainly seemed a little zippier than a 2.4T - although a 2.4T can still surprise people with its performance...

The 2.4S belongs to a well known (in Germany) producer of a weekly motor TV programme. At the time of the tracktest the car was said to have only a Bilstein race suspension, roll cage and sports seats. In the meantime some lightweight body parts (at least bumpers) seem to have been added, judging from the footage broadcasted about the Trofeo Baleares 2004.
    Due to such screen appearances and the ever increasing number of historic road rallies the prices for such cars have skyrocketed in the last years. Today a 2.4S in nice condition will cost approx. Euro 55'000. That once was DeutschMark 110'000! And the 2.7RS now trades at 120'000 Euro. Crazy world!
    Anatol

Great video, too much drifting but great video.

Jack, it's amazing what spring rate, damping and sway bars mods will do to a "standard" 911S's handling. That's one of the things I like most about our cars; that you can have a 30+ year old car behave so modern-like (sic) and kick some modern arse.

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

The rear flares on that car appear to have been "pulled" or hammered to allow a larger rear tire to be fitted, no? They don't appear to me to be a stock '69-73 flare profile. The suspension is definitely upgraded, there is no way a stock car would corner that flat, as Jack said.

It doesn't surprise me that an early car could beat the times of a 996 on a short track. My 2-liter '67S regularly whomps all but a few of the 996 and Boxster S models at our local autocrosses, and all it has for mods are bigger ARBs and tires. Put them on a bigger track, though, and the power of the later models and their superior high speed handling and aero will come thru.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

Quote Originally Posted by gruen911
    Guys,
    Just saw the video and I speak German. First, if you noticed in the video, the car looks like a 2.4T (look at the tach gauge which shows redline at 6,600 - not 7,300). It refers to the early 911S model, but doesn't state that this particluar car is a real original 911S. I am guessing that it is a 2.4 911T. I also thought in one angle of the car that I saw the oil filler door on the right rear fender area as it was driving away.
    Secondly, the video says in German that the car has been "leicht modifiziert" or lightly modified. Don't recall if the 2.4T had rear sway bar set-up but one can clearly see in the video that this car has one. As for having a faster track time than a 996, the video states that this car had a better test time than the modern 911 (they don't say specifically say which modern car). Perhaps they are refering to the 996? Wouldn't surprise me though. Would have been nice to see what the engine bay looked like....Leicht modifiziert could be a euphemism for a 2.7 RS engine!!! It certainly seemed a little zippier than a 2.4T - although a 2.4T can still surprise people with its performance...
    The web page the video came from stated they were referring to a 996.

I think it's great to see an early car performing like that.

But then, I consider my own 911T to be "Leicht modifiziert."