Thread: 1973 Front Bumper Trim

1973 Front Bumper Trim

I posted in the wrong section yesterday.

Quick question. My '73 S is many miles away right now, so I can't look.

A previous owner cut and removed the rubber part of the front bumper trim under the bumper overriders, presumably because the overriders are the T/E version.

Am I able to buy just the rubber part of the trim, or do I have to buy the whole aluminum / rubber unit? Is the right stuff still available from the dealer or usual suspects? Cost?

I'm thinking about going with the euro look in front. Are there different part #'s for the US and euro trim because of the undrilled holes, or do they all come undrilled?

Any issues besides the holes in the bumper underneath the trim (covered by the trim) and the holes in the spoiler (rubber plugged or filled and painted)?

Thanks!
    Early 911S Registry #224
    911S Targa 1973
    356B Roadster 1962

Memory fade here since I had my bumperettes removed decades ago...but I believe it was a rubber only replacement, holes in bumper filled, a respray of the bumper. Hope somebody who did this more recently will chime in.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

I did it recently, and you are correct,
    a rubber only replacement, holes in bumper filled, a respray of the bumper
    . I still have to fill the holes in the bumper and respray though...
    Henry

Check out this thread
    Neil
    '73 911S targa

Thanks Neil...good link.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    Yes, in reference to the linked thread those gaps are correct on a '73 with rubber over-riders.

Obviously looks much cleaner without them. You can get the rubber strip only, but some aftermarket jobs are 3 piece (one center and 2 ends separate). They do not look so good. Also, lots of the aftermarket rubber trim strips have a slightly softer section than originals. I bit the bullet and got a NOS piece that just bolted on to the aluminum trim and repainted the bumper... looks great. Pretty simple job, but it helps to have a friend when remounting the bumper! You'll also want to get a new bumper to body seal while you're in there.

Since the 2 holes in the bumper below the trim are "correct" - I just put rubber plugs in. See below for a before/after of my car - also removed the front AC condensor and protection bars (which, you can see didn't quite do their job at some point!). The before was a pic from the dealer - the after, I took after mounting shallow 7" wheels and 215/60s in back. Hadn't yet spaced out the front 6s (disclaimer).
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

Quote Originally Posted by JCR
    You can get the rubber strip only, but some aftermarket jobs are 3 piece (one center and 2 ends separate). They do not look so good.
    Second that. I pulled the trigger on two original NOS strips. One for my standard bumper and one for my spoiler. Hey, a guy needs his accessories too.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    Yep, nothing quite like breaking that original factory seal and pulling out a perfect part. I figure it's best to get the stuff you need now - as NOS part prices will only be rising.
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

When I removed the rubber baby bumpers from my 73's, I plugged the hole with the white plug that sits in the luggage space next to the VIN #. Took me a while to scrounge enough plugs to fill three bumpers! The semi milky white color wasn't that noticable against the silver paint.

The calitalist roader.
    3 nearly identical silver S trim 73's