Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mystery: 1970 and 1971 soft-window Targas...do they really exist?

Mystery: 1970 and 1971 soft-window Targas...do they really exist?

Hi guys,

I asked this question over at Pelican but then it occurred to me that you guys would probably be able to answer my question. So here goes:

OK, time to solve one of the more perplexing mysteries of Porsche production.

We've all seen the rare '69 911s with the soft window option, and I'd always thought that '69 was the last year you could get that. But recently I was reading the 911 & 912 Restorer's Guide to Authenticity and they mentioned that you could special order it all the way until 1971.

I had noticed previously that my '71 911E's owners manual had instructions for folding and caring for the soft window folding top. I thought it was a strange leftover from past years manuals, but now that I read this perhaps not! I don't recall the soft-window instructions in the '72 911E owners manual I used to have. Can anyone double check for me?

So has anyone actually seen or heard of any '70 or '71 models with the soft-window? I have a fantasy in my head of a silver '71 S soft window Targa...mmmmmm.
    Last edited by 911E4ME; 02-25-2011 at 11:33 AM.

Hello,

I own a 1968 911L soft window targa and I have the extra manual for soft targa care and operation.

Do you have an extra manual just for the soft top or is it mixed with the regular targa one?

Check the complete manual:
    http://www.oldautoradio.com/manualsFrames.htm

Josep
    1967 912 coupe
    1969 2.0 911S Targa
    1973.5 911T sunroof coupe

http://www.oldautoradio.com

I thought that someone had posted over on Pelican about a 1970 911T soft window out of Texas.....about a year ago. It was a project car. I can't confirm it, but that's what my memory tells me....

By the way, I am going to do a conversion on a 73S targa, sometime in the future...I've got everything, I just need to do it, or have it done.

E

A guy I know in Pennsylvania has owned a gold '71E soft window targa for 18 years. He loves it and knows he has a rare beast! He'll be at Hershey this year.

My guess is that it was just an option that not many people ordered. It is quite unique.
    1970 S Coupe Metallic Green

I posted links to pics of both of the cars mentioned above (plus a gorgeous Irish Green '70 E) to the Pelican thread also above, for those who are curious.

Josep, the instructions for the folding top for my '71 E are included in the regular owner's manual, which covers both coupes and targas.

I owned this 71 Sporto Softie roller for a while. Sold it to a gentleman in the Bay area, but won't mention his name.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1973 S Targa #0098
    Member # 1498

Mark's car was the car I recalled..... any contact with the buyer Mark? Is that car back together?

Eric

Eric,
    I emailed with him just after the car arrived, but that was the last contact.

Mark
    1973 S Targa #0098
    Member # 1498

This is the 71 Soft Window at Hershey 2-3 years ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I believe that is the Gold '71E I was talking about. Anyway... the owner told me that a condition for importation (and/or registration) was the removal of the back seats. To this day, no back seats. Anyone else hear about this?
    1970 S Coupe Metallic Green