Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Battery Replacement

Battery Replacement

I need new batteries. I've searched the battery threads here and on Pelican and haven't found what I need. I've got a 71 with dual batteries. I simply want to buy new batteries that will slide into the stock boxes, connect the existing terminals and drive away. I can't find any that fit! The current batteries are Deka 239's (cca 245). They worked great for +6 years. I talked to the rep today and he said they quit making them. They are 8" long x 6.75" deep x 7" tall (with posts) - 1/4 inch larger in any dimension and it won't fit! I don't really want to go the Optima/Odyssey/Whatever route. The Optimas I looked at won't fit anyway, without butchering the boxes.

Any suggestions?

Interstate makes some that slide right in to my '73 (or at least they did a year ago). The local Firestone shop two blocks from my office had two in stock at a pretty reasonable price. I can check on the model number if you need it.

Paul knows where you can get some german gel filled batteries,I think theh are called SONNENSCHEIN,but they are not cheap about $500.00 for a pair,when I say Paul I mean PWD72S

Curt, I've been running them for years. Currently, I'm running Sonnenschein A-200 dryfit, with a part # of 081-90640. But, I understand they have been "upgraded" to a higher a/h rating, and a new number. They are $pendy, but they also are the EXACT size of the original batteries, plus being gel-cell, no acid spills or carpet rotting fumes to worry about. The current source I have heard for them is in Florida...Lauderdale battery & alternator. 954-525-5557. They also have a website, but I don't have the link...sorry.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Very good! Thanks guys.

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    Curt, I'm very happy with my Odyssey battery. Great quality, slides right in. In fact, I'm a bit baffled why Optimas are recommended so often with this one out there?

Got mine at Batteries Plus for about $170.00, and it didn't have that silly graphic on the side. You don't need 2, but you could if you want to.
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

The Odyssey seems to do the job for many folks. It's pretty light. Here's a rough comparison:

Odyssey
    CCA: about 200
    Weight: about 15 lbs.
    Cost: $170 (your quote)

Optima
    CCA: about 800
    Weight: about 35 lbs
    Cost: $100 (MSRP is about $130)

Not sure about the longevity of the Odyssey. With any battery, that depends on the number of cycles (discharge/charge) it goes through during its lifetime. If you operate in sub-freezing climates, I would go with the higher CCAs. Not that this is typical; my Optima just died, but it was good for 9 years. YMMV.

The Sonnenschein battery seems to look most period correct, but @ $250 ea. and with factory-type specs (?) this may only attract those who want an original look. I understand a couple of Miata batteries accomplish the same thing. Perhaps these are the Interstate batteries suggested by Jayzoll.

Some of these may or may not be sealed batteries. I would suggest any chosen battery be fully sealed to reduce the chance of battery acid (liquid or gas) destroying the chassis.

Sherwood

Agreed Sherwood...I went for the Sonnenscheins, a pair of them, just for the original look. the perfect fit. Even the moulded rubber bits Porsche supplied with the originals, to cover the + posts fit perfectly! I'm on my 2nd set...the first lasted about 7 years...I run optima in both our domestic irons...and your 9 year life span seems about right.
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

pwd72s,is the reason the german sonnenschein cost so much ($250 per) because of the euro dollar to us dollar and anybody with german contacts or in germany for that matter find a source for getting these batteries any cheaper,since we have members and non-members on this board from all over the world?????

I'll agree that the price is crazy when compared with other batteries. But since I buy only one pair every 7 years or so, I just considered it part of the "P" tax. I have a friend in Germany, but I suspect with the weight of them, it would cost a ton to ask him to mail them over here...