Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So...now that I have to paint...

So...now that I have to paint...

Now that my 68 is now regretably down to metal, what to do now? By the way, was pretty interesting on the strip down. She had zero rust or body damage...anywhere. First time I have ever seen this. Was really too bad we had to remove all this paint.

I figure I have three options:

1) remain the stock/factory color and replace all the stock factory moulding etc etc...only problem is my 67S is all stock and all the other early 911s in our area are bone stock

2) Go a differnt color, but remain stock...So many colors to choose from...and since it will now not be an original paint, does this detract from anything? Such a decision is keeping me up at night and driving the wife mad! She was slate grey...the car, not my wife

3) Go a bit R-ish and delete all the trim, adding stripes in place of trim in offset color...maybe Porsche script on the rockers and rear deck lid... I kind of am leaning toward this option right now... Where is a good source for rocker and deck lid script?

I looked for a thread we had a while back that was "favorite early color" but fear it was lost during the break in last year. So, input from you all is welcome.
    Michael
    '56 T-1 356 bent window coupe...
    68 911L Burgandy Red R Gruppe #388
    72 911S Coupe, Sepia Brown

Whatever you do, paint it Slate Grey...the trim and stuff is mostly pretty easy to reverse, while the paint is obviously not. IF you are thinking resale, Slate Grey will bring more money than a colr change. Slate Grey is also an awesome color--remember Le Mans w/ Steve McQueen?

I am a bit partial to a 911R style body, without a lot of fru-fru stuff...but every once in a while I see a 100% stock car that really sets me back. Something very pure about the way Porsche built it.
    scott kinder
    kindersport@gmail.com

Registry #614

9110220587 - 1973 RSR revival in progress
    My Car Thread: "Five-Eighty-Seven..."
    “If it isn't there, it didn't cost anything, it doesn't weigh anything and can't break." - From the philosophy of Grady Clay

Mike,

Keep the car as original as possible, dont convert this car to an R look car and most definately dont change the color! If you want an R looking car, do it to a old driver or some lower class 911 like a T, I wouldn't sacrifice an original 67S. So, I would repaint the car back to the original color and if necessary, replace rubber and seals, etc.

Erick

partial R look - but keep the trim -- you can put it all back on if you change your mind or if you sell it (don't hack a hole in the lid or do other hard to recover from mods).

It may lose a bit of value if you repaint in a non-stock color.

The color should either fit in with or contrast harmoniously with, the colors around you. That means other cars, your house, and the env. It sounds like you are further East than the Okanogan so there is probably enough brown and other earth tones in an arid area.... Maroon maybe?

Agree with original color, and original look.
    1970 911S Coupe (Burgundrot) (sold)
    1967 911 Coupe (Light Ivory) (mostly gone)
    1966 911 Coupe (Sand Beige) (sold)
    Van Diemen RF99 Formula Continental
    Citation F1000 on the way
    Van Diemen Hayabusa SCCA Formula S (sale pending)
    Other Early 911/912/914

i understand what you mean about making those decisions. reminds me of when my car was heading for the body shop. imo, don't go in between. go all the way to one side or the other and commit to one. if you start with the "theme of deletion" then do just that - delete trim, emblems, antenna, etc. plug those holes - don't leave them open "just in case you want to go back". just commit and you decision making process will be easy. some pics inspiration:
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

If you use tape, you can just put the trim on top of it w/o anyone seeing a difference -- if you change your mind.

If I resprayed my car tomorrow it would be Slate Grey. Thats really a great color. If I couldnt have Sepia, my car would have to be that color
    #711 - expires 12/05
    1972 911T - Sepia 3.2 - For Sale

Well you can't go wrong with an original color. Like the other have stated, Slate Grey is very nice and resale would be better if you ever wanted to sell. But if I understand correctly, this is a second early car for you with the first being a very original S. I have often wondered about if I could have another car what would it be an how it would be different. Well I too have an stock car and if I did ever be so lucky to have another I might think about something where I didn't need to be so locked in, both cosmetically and mechanically. One original and one not.

Just a thought...

All the best,
    Tom
    Early 911S Reg #544

Slate Grey

Keep the car the original color.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    S Registry #265
    R Gruppe #224