Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Silver '73 S for sale - anybody know this car?

Silver '73 S for sale - anybody know this car?

Anybody know this car? I saw the car at the dealer, and their description is pretty much spot on. I wish I could buy it. $39K seems too much, but nowadays, maybe not.

http://www.carsauto.com/detail.cfm?ID=77646
    Charlie
    '66 912
    '50 VW Bug
    '89 VW syncro Tristar Doka
    '83 VW Westfalia

No longer a Freshman, Now an OWNER

Nice car, but.....

It looks quite nice, but the number seems high for:
    1. non-original colors
    2. rust around battery box
    3. not perfect interior (although pretty damnned nice!)
    4. relatively high mileage
    5. unknown service/update records

Maybe I am wrong---the numbers keep rocketing up (I was going to say creeping up but that is defintely the wrong velocity!). My thoughts of someday getting an S coupe 'sister' for my Targa is slipping away.

What do the rest of you think---30-35K or am I off base?

It makes me feel REALLY GREAT about the 73 S Targa that I bought in January for $20K (better condition, lower miles, strong service/update history and NO rust anywhere).
    1973 911 S Targa (Black/Black) SOLD
    1999 996 C2 (Silver/Black) SOLD
    2006 Range Rover Sport (Red/Tan)
    2004 Mercedes E320 4MATIC Wagon
    1971 Mercedes 280SL

Obviously, you got a great buy. Hey, you never know...there might be somebody out there somewhere with a no rust S coupe for sale who doesn't have a clue...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

I know, I wasn't trying to be smug....

..but I would have expected a car like the silver one to be in the lower 30's given the rust, etc...
    1971 Mercedes 280SL

I do have this "tulip mania" theory...we'll see how it pans out.
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

"Tulip Mania" ??

Help me out with this one---what does that mean?
    1971 Mercedes 280SL

Centuries ago...the first good example of panic in a commodities market. It was options trading on tulip bulbs in Holland, 17th century. People were in such a fever to get in, they were bidding annual salaries, and more, just to have an option to buy a single tulip bulb! I'm not saying early 911S cars will reach that point, but I do see a speculator bubble blowing up here. All bubbles expand until they break. If people are borrowing money in order to have ANY early 911? Well, the bubble is growing... Especially if they are borrowing money in order to "flip" the car...figuring that they can sell for a profit long before they pay the car off....(edit) Me? THIS bubble tempts me to sell my car, but I doubt I will. You see, I like it too much. It cost me $9,300, every dollar hard earned, back in '74...and it's been long paid for. If it should again become worth "only" $9,300? I don't really care. I mean, my home is paid for, I eat too well, and I sleep warm, with a wonderful woman. What more does a guy need?

Ah!

Now I understand what you were saying....and, I must say, that I agree.....but I guess the early S-mania is still not as out of control as the American Muscle Car mania as evidenced at BJ this year! $100K as the ENTRY to the Muscle Car world? You have got to be kidding me!
    1971 Mercedes 280SL

Quote Originally Posted by MAPC
    Now I understand what you were saying....and, I must say, that I agree.....but I guess the early S-mania is still not as out of control as the American Muscle Car mania as evidenced at BJ this year! $100K as the ENTRY to the Muscle Car world? You have got to be kidding me!
    I know the early 911 is superior to the muscle car..been there, done that with muscle. You may or may not know the same from experience. But the market drives what it will, logic has little to do with it. IF, for example, I could swap my '72S for the tri power goat I traded in on my first P-car? In the condition it was then? Yeah, I'd think about it...No doubt in my mind that the "S" is superior in design, quality of construction, etc. Still, I'd think of it, and that's tossing the "value" aside...

Leaf green 72T, SOLD!
    Gone back to my MoPar roots!