Thread: Lotus 23C Porsche

Lotus 23C Porsche

Anybody know anything about this? Supposedly, it's been running a 911 motor since day 1 and George Follmer drove it in 1965??? It's being restored now.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I believe that is a car that was for sale at Ron Tonkins Ferrari store in Portland, Oregon, about 5 - 6 years ago. I considered buying it, did some research. Could not be documented that the story was fact. I have a ton of related paper work somewhere.

SD

This is the Lotus I am referring to. I am sure this is it.

SD

Correct me if I'm wrong. It's been a long time but I believe it won the overall (and under 2 liter class) USRRC (US Road Racing Championship) back in those days against much bigger bore sports prototypes. Sponsored by Trans Ocean Motors in Pasadena, CA.

Sherwood

This is interesting – I'd not been aware of this 'conversion' before. There is a replica Lotus 23 'kit' here in the UK (that's not a good expression as it is a highly-accurate tube-framed recreation of the Lotus 23) which I had plans (usually on a Saturday night after a beer or two…) to build and install a 911 engine as the ultimate road car. I saw one of these recreations at a hillclimb meeting and studied it closely, talked to the owner etc, and came to the conclusion that a 911 'six' would fit with very little effort. The owner (a Ford guy) thought I was mad. If nothing else, at least this thread has proved I'm not mad! Well not completely.
    Cornwall
    UK

I am getting together with George this weekend. I will see what he remembers of the car.
    Michael
    '56 T-1 356 bent window coupe...
    68 911L Burgandy Red R Gruppe #388
    72 911S Coupe, Sepia Brown

Quote Originally Posted by demo
    I believe that is a car that was for sale at Ron Tonkins Ferrari store in Portland, Oregon, about 5 - 6 years ago.
    Was this the one on Ebay that sold for $65K recently, or another one?
    Auction was here.
    Discussion thread was here.

The Lotus 23 replicars are offered here in the US by Xanthos Cars N.A. for about $35K for a roller. It would be pretty cool to fit a nice built Porsche engine into one, eh?

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

Thats it. For sale at $40,000 when I saw it.

4 cylinder 4 cam Carrera 356 motor powered. probably inspired by the lesser handling Elva and Pete Lovely's "Poopers"
    Member #755
    Conda Green 70 911S
    70 black 914-6 3.2
    70 911 "Speedster" project
    "74 IROC" tribute Jade Green RSR

A 911 motor was swapped in later on.

http://www.tamsoldracecarsite.net/Ma...tery44Lag.html