Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Enough about 40k 911Ts Let's get back to some interesting topics

Enough about 40k 911Ts Let's get back to some interesting topics

OK guys enough about E bay 40 K wonders, let's get back to REAL topics. Ie interesting early 911 finds, Long term projects, unusual options, Special order cars, Paint to sample deals, How to fix a problem, ect. Talking $$$ all the time about how much it's worth is damn boring. If you want to make big $$$ Buy Real Estate. Let's get back to basics here. Thanks.

Best,

Don

okay don - i'll start.

maybe a topic that has been beaten to death but what about adding SYNTHETIC OIL to my newly rebuilt 2.7 at the next oil change? currently running kendall and it has been strongly suggested by a well respected wrench w 30+ years in the biz that at 2-3K miles to add SYNTHETIC.

when did arctic silver makes its' first appearance on a porsche?
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

Good topic, and good timing, Bob. I hope to have my engine parts back from the machine shop very soon. Also a 2.7(RS). I'm wondering if I should stay with dino or chance the synthetic. Before the rebuild, I tried synth for about 6 months. DUring this time, my car really increased its propensity for marking its territory.
    Jim Richards
    Aubergine 1973 911E Sunroof Coupe w/ 2.7RS MFI
    Early 911S Registry Member #589
    GruppeB #911

FWIW, a wrench told me to break it in with dino for 10k miles, then switch to synthetic. The reasoning had to do with manufacturing tolerences of the various parts compared to more modern cars that start with synthetic.

Jim, when will we get to see that new motor of yours? Maybe bring it down to VIR for the fall historic races?
    Hal Michael
    2008 Audi RS4
    2006 Porsche Cayman S
    1970 911 Targa 2.7 (sold)

Hey Bob, do you still have the Carrera oil tank for sale?
    #711 - expires 12/05
    1972 911T - Sepia 3.2 - For Sale

Quote Originally Posted by JimR
    Good topic, and good timing, Bob. I hope to have my engine parts back from the machine shop very soon. Also a 2.7(RS). I'm wondering if I should stay with dino or chance the synthetic. Before the rebuild, I tried synth for about 6 months. DUring this time, my car really increased its propensity for marking its territory.
    Jim, I considered synthetic also. But even with 20W50 dino, my rebuilt engine likes to mark its territory. I think there's a little seepage at the c'shaft nose bearing when oil is under pressure. There's no leakage when sitting. Anyhow, I'd rather not have any more oil leakage, so I'll probably just stick with dino oil.

Also, what do you guys think I can sell my '72 T for...it is original...

I am confused, from about 1965-1989 Porsche 911 engine's have remained basicly the same. So if a type of oil is good for one year would it not be good for another year? I understand if your engine leaks oil to not use a costly oil that would leak out, maybe even faster. But the advantages/disavantages would be the same regardles of years, Right? I know in bypass oil filter systoms and engines with out filters you do not want to use detergent oil but that was 356's?? 911's or all dry sump and Porsche recomends synthetic, Mobil One to be specific, why do we trust Porsche engineers for other decisions but not oil? I do not want a fight if there is somthing I am missing please let me know

Porsche did not recommend synthetic until the 964 units came along...mobil 1 was still a baby if there at all in 89. When I bought my 89 the dealer told me, and the sticker dictated, to use shell oil -- of the dino breed. I have never used synthetic and change my oil every 3K. I am by no means an oel guru, but my thought is with the frequent oil changes that I, and probably most of you do, the dino oil is the one of choice. With the large capacity of oil in the dry sump, there is little possibility that it will be breaking down sooner than your next change. My owners manuel only calls for an oil change every 15K...I have now 60K on the 89 and ner-a-problem...I have 300K on the 67S and STILL no problems (<5% diff on leak down and good compression)
    Michael
    '56 T-1 356 bent window coupe...
    68 911L Burgandy Red R Gruppe #388
    72 911S Coupe, Sepia Brown

www.spyderautomobiles.com .au
    Michael,

You've hit it on the head...Mobil 1 is great for those "newer Porsches", but in layman's terms is just too thin for these ol' gals...we use Shell products almost exclusively in the workshop with great success. From 356's through to 3.2 Carrera's we usually use Shell Helix Plus, a semi-synthetic (Helix Ultra for the race engines). For the older engines or stuff with big clearances, we use Sport 50 (used to be Comp 50) 25W/70. Good solid old oil! We've tried synthetics such as Mobil 1 and have found oil leaks which previously didn't exist...the stuff leaks like a sieve out of almost everywhere. I don't know if the Shell specs are the same in the US as here, but we are very happy with what we use. Oh and never, ever use full synthetic in a fresh engine!

Cheers,
    Lisa
    Lisa Gregory
    Early 911S Registry #726

www.spyderautomobiles.com.au

My "old gal" was reverted from carbs to MFI over the Winter, and received a pair of GTS seats (Jim's idea) and Schroth harnesses. Can't imagine what else I'd do to this car - she's done!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Greg DuPertuis

1972 911T
    Leesburg, VA