Thread: Throttle Body Torque Specs

Throttle Body Torque Specs

I'm going to clean the throttle bodies and replace some gaskets on my '73 next weekend. Is there a recommended torque spec for installing the throttle bodies to the heads or the velocity stacks to the t-bodies? I can't find any in CMA or in my spec book.

Quote Originally Posted by jayzoll
    I'm going to clean the throttle bodies and replace some gaskets on my '73 next weekend. Is there a recommended torque spec for installing the throttle bodies to the heads or the velocity stacks to the t-bodies? I can't find any in CMA or in my spec book.
    Jay:

10-12 lbs-ft is plenty for the throttle body-to-head flanges. You don't want to distort the magnesium. The stacks are tightened to, "just snug". Use new gaskets, of course.

Use a short-handled 1/4" drive or 3/8" drive handle so you don't overtighten these things; its a finesse thing.
    Steve Weiner
    Rennsport Systems
    Portland Oregon
    E-mail: porsche@rennsportsystems.com
    http://www.rennsportsystems.com

Thanks, Steve.

That's about what I expected, I just wanted to make sure--I certainly don't want to crack my plactic stacks.

Nossir, you surely don't,....

Remember,......."Less is more".
    Steve Weiner
    Rennsport Systems
    Portland Oregon
    E-mail: porsche@rennsportsystems.com
    http://www.rennsportsystems.com

You may want to put the bottoms of your TB's onto a flat surface to make sure that they are flat. The flanges may be pulled downward a touch and needed to be skimmed. The distortion could be from previous over- torquing of the nuts or material creep over the years. Either way if they are not flat you can get a bad seal.
    1970 911S Targa
    On the road again soon.