Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The guys and gals had track date.

Gburner

The guys and gals had track date.

Last time I left you the ladies had all just completed a 3 day PCA performance driving school.
    Last weekend they entered a PCA AX competition in San Diego.
    Here’s a photo recap of how it went. How about the smiles on these girls!

Gloria in her gold Targa did very well; her new skills earned her more gold.

My wife Yvonne drove our 86 turbo look and she too got an award.
    She also got to experience a spin at 40 mph in a controlled environment with an instructor in her car. She had nailed the Type 1 turn leading onto the main straight and had not moved her brake point forward at the end of the straight. So she was carrying too much speed entering the turn at the end of the straight.

Lastly, I instructed Jenny briefly at the recent 3 day PCA Performance driving school and again we worked together at the AX Saturday. She also took home gold in her class and FCOD (fast chick of the day).
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Gburner
    So the guys had a blast too.
    Here is Jeff Cook in his track car project. Jeff attended the last R Gruppe Palm Springs weekend in a new black cab. He was hooked and started building this 3.2 powered 74. Coil overs, full cage and 8s and 10s.
    Here is shot of John, Jeff and I.

Tom Tweed kicked everyone’s butt. He was consistent and ran 3 timed runs with in a couple tenths of each other. He won his very competitive class with his white 67 911S. Great drive Tom!

Gburner
    Maybe Riz will add his Sunday track day shots.
    More Saturday action.
    After timed runs Yvonne explained to John and I the fast line.

...and then came Sunday....

...and it was time for a little fun DE action... had a good core group of early 911's jousting lap after lap...ton's of fun I might add.... here's a few pix that show what was going on all day last Sunday in S.D. at the "Q"... No johnny Law, no tickets and no crossing into opposing traffic lanes due to understeer !!!
    Johnny Riz
    73E euro 3.2 w. a few goodies
    Rgrp 152
    S Reg 335

a few more...

'cuz I like to look at my car online (Just Like Jack...!!!)
    Johnny Riz
    Rgrp 152
    S Reg 335

Gburner
    A 380hp GT-3 and a 600hp GT-2 and John in his R Gruppe ride.
    Fast company, can driving your 911 get any better than this?

Quote Originally Posted by Gburner
    Tom Tweed kicked everyone’s butt. He was consistent and ran 3 timed runs with in a couple tenths of each other. He won his very competitive class with his white 67 911S. Great drive Tom!
    Thanks, Mike! Results are here for the autox on Sat. I missed the Top Ten times by two-tenths of a second. Still a pretty good result for a 38-year-old 911S running a stock 2-liter motor. I was happy with a 1:19.xx-- I hadn't run under 1:20 in the practice sessions. I think I ended up 13th overall out of 121 cars. Jeff did well-- a very credible 1:26 in timed runs, but while I was with him in the car during practice, he did a 1:24 with a little coaching. He's catching on quick and his car works really well.

Sunday at the DE was a blast, though. Getting to run my DSR in continuous lapping for the first time was intense. In two 25-minute sessions I was wrung out and bruised and tired. Forgetting my kneepads and neck brace while hurrying to get out for the first session didn't help.

What kind of lap times were the AM 911s running in the afternoon, after they changed the track? Anybody have a Hotlap timer on?

Here's one pic of me that Greg Phillips got.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

Quote Originally Posted by ttweed
    .......What kind of lap times were the AM 911s running in the afternoon, after they changed the track? Anybody have a Hotlap timer on?
    Hi Tom,

Yeah, I had mine on. In the morning with the original layout I was running 00:47's & 48's...

In the afternoon after the top end was lengthend I was running 00:50's but I did sneak one lap at 00:49:xx back into the mix.

t'care..
    Johnny Riz
    Rgrp 152
    S Reg 335

Thanks, John, I was just wondering. It was hard to get a clear lap in with all the traffic, and we didn't put the timer on until the afternoon, after they lengthened it up, but Jad ran a high 46 in one of the last sessions in the Le Grand, with very little traffic to hold him up.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

Gburner
    TT not surprised you are feeling it Monday. Tom your green rocket though light looks to be a bit more jarring (along with the Q surface!) than your other race cars. Besides the DE events at least your future abuse will mostly be without continuous laps at the AX events. SOW might be fun in it too?

Thanks for not mentioning how you waxed me in the 86 turbo look. My excuses... It was the first time I had AX'ed a wide body and no joke..you know how you snake around the course and the front and side clear and you think you are past the cone and then whack the turbo flare smacks a cone.

My last timed lap was my fastest at 1.22.xx though I hit a no brainer cone (2 second penalty) in the inside of the first left turn. Guess I better get a feel for the extra width.

Your 67 on R rubber and my 86 turbo look on street tires were 3 seconds apart. You think if we had the same tires they might run about the same time on that AX track? How about with you driving both of them?

I should of made the fenders high enough to go over the cones.