Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paint for airbox ?

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar

Paint for airbox ?

What is the proper paint/finish for a 67 airbox?
    Wurth ? Satin ? Gloss ?

Thanks

John

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

Good question. All I can say is that I believe the early 911 metal air cleaner assemblies were painted the same as the engine surround tin...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Seems to be - It is hard to tell if it was originaly gloss and has attained a satin patina or if it was satin finish original and gets more so.
    Cheap as I am I was hoping to avoid buying more than one can of paint.

Thanks;

John

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

Hi John,
    In looking thru the Peter Morgan book, there are 2 engine bay pic's of the SWB 911's -the first pic is of an early 65 model running the correct Solexes and the airbox has a high gloss black finish. The second picture shows a 67S with Webers in which the air cleaner box is also high gloss black.
    I went with the satin black finish because I had a new can of black Rustoleum satin finish sitting in the garage. I guess I should deduct $1k from my car if/when I decide to sell it.

P.S.
    I finally got around to pulling out my old CD box and Bosch coil and installed the MSD 6al and a Blaster coil (deduct another $1k from the future sales price). I noticed a significant improvement in performance. I was led to believe it would really help the car run better at lower rev's. But I am really noticing a significant bump in power at higher rev's too. The car really seems to light up at 6k plus rev's. It may also be because I put fresh plugs in too....
    Is an MSD ignition system one of the 100 improvements in Waynes book? If not, it should be. One little glitch though: my tach no longer functions so it looks like I will have to get a tach adaptor. Anyone know if I could simply send my Tach to Hollywood speedo and have them recalibrate/rebuild it so I don't need to buy the adaptor?

Back in the later 70's, my father used to clean up the little tidbits like chrome and the airbox on the early Porsches that I used to mechanically repair. He used fine paint polish on the airboxes, which always came out a beautiful gloss black. An original satin black would not have come out that glossy.
    1970 911S Coupe (Burgundrot) (sold)
    1967 911 Coupe (Light Ivory) (mostly gone)
    1966 911 Coupe (Sand Beige) (sold)
    Van Diemen RF99 Formula Continental
    Citation F1000 on the way
    Van Diemen Hayabusa SCCA Formula S (sale pending)
    Other Early 911/912/914

I'm going to powder coat the one on my '66-- the damn thing is always getting scratched up coming in and out by the tabs that hold the engine sound pad. Gloss is the way to go.

Gruen, try a diode before the tach pulse lead (black/purple) with the diode oriented with the "bar" toward the distributor.
    '66 911 #304056
    '71 911E H-Stock Club Racer

FYI: The folks at Palo Alto Speedometer told me they could install a new MSD compatible board in the OEM tach, thereby eliminating the need for adapters.

Alex
    Leaf green 72T, SOLD!
    Gone back to my MoPar roots!

MSD compatible board for $150 or so, vs a $1.30 diode (three-pack) and a 12V transformer for a doorbell, I can tell you which I'd rather have.
    '66 911 #304056
    '71 911E H-Stock Club Racer

I have just done all the tinware on a 68S in satin black but just had to do the air cleaner housing in gloss

Nick Moss - Early 911S #476 - RGruppe #318 - early911.co.uk

Nick;

That looks just a little bit evil - so gloss it is !

John

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606