Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Location of RS # 181

In my opinion it is a re-stamp the font on the 3 is wrong - it should have a flat top
    what does the type number stamp look like? and what are the casting numbers? and most importantly where has in been unearthed from?

It looks like the engine that was in 0181 when it was for sale a number of times over the past 10 years with fanciful stories about where it had come from and obvious to me at the time that, at best, it was a re-body with re-stamped vin plates and engine and possibly a few real parts and, at worst, it was a poor fake

Here is the engine from when it was for sale in June 2012 in Portugal before it was for sale in San Francisco in 2013, Mecum at Monterey in 2014 and 2015 (when they said the engine was located in Sweden in 2015 !!) etc etc and in 2018 in Florida Also in 2015 it was claimed that a RS engine with that number was in a RS in the UK at the time - I have never seen photos of it to compare stamping however.

this photo was from 2012 - three years before it was "found for the car in Sweden"
    Name:  mm.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  111.1 KB
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Great, thanks Hugh.
    By comparing the photos, I would say that the engine from the car in Portugal, the one at Mecum, and the one I am offered are the same one.

1. The engine number stamping from the car when it was back in Portugal (http://www.finecars.cc/en/detail/car/159377/index.html) seems to correspond with the one from the engine I've been offered. I've overlaid the image below.
    Name:  mm_compare.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  283.2 KB

2. The marks and scuffs around the fan housing seem to correspond with those seen on the car from the Mecum auction (https://www.mecum.com/lots/CA0815-22...ra-rs-touring/). I've overlaid the image below.
    Name:  mecum_compare.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  99.4 KB

I can't verify which engine is which, but I will repeat what I believe is true.

RS#181 was in the UK many years ago and the engine was removed, I believe by Autofarm, and fitted to a 1973 911T that was used in the UK in the late 90s for hillclimbing. The 911T was sold, complete with RS engine, to Sweden. The second owner of the car in Sweden contacted me in 2014/15 IIRC offering the RS motor #191.

That motor was then sold to the USA and found it's way into the Mecum RS#181 as I discussed here in 2016. I have no idea what happed to the motor that was in that car before.

I do wonder what happened to the RS, anyone know?
    Nick Moss - Early 911S #476 - RGruppe #318 - early911.co.uk

Run

Run far away

Quote Originally Posted by HughH View Post
    In my opinion it is a re-stamp the font on the 3 is wrong - it should have a flat top
    what does the type number stamp look like? and what are the casting numbers? and most importantly where has in been unearthed from?

It looks like the engine that was in 0181 when it was for sale a number of times over the past 10 years with fanciful stories about where it had come from and obvious to me at the time that, at best, it was a re-body with re-stamped vin plates and engine and possibly a few real parts and, at worst, it was a poor fake

Here is the engine from when it was for sale in June 2012 in Portugal before it was for sale in San Francisco in 2013, Mecum at Monterey in 2014 and 2015 (when they said the engine was located in Sweden in 2015 !!) etc etc and in 2018 in Florida Also in 2015 it was claimed that a RS engine with that number was in a RS in the UK at the time - I have never seen photos of it to compare stamping however.

this photo was from 2012 - three years before it was "found for the car in Sweden"
    Name:  mm.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  111.1 KB
    Cole Scrogham
    Porsche Restoration
    911, 912, 911R, RS, RSR, IROC

Engine number 6630191 that was in the 911T in the UK was sold to Sweden in 2005, it had invoices for engine rebuilds in Germany from Gottfriedd Kadach in 1991, Karl Wagner Tuning in 1996, then in the UK at Autofarm around 2005 just befor the 911T was sold. its not known if the engine was with Chassis 9113600181 in Germany at the time of the rebuilds however chassis 0181 ended up in Portugal in the late nineties as a Race car with RSR arches fitted and various other modifications.
    It would be interesting to find out who owned the real 0181 from its sale in 1972/3 by the Porsche centre, Mahag, Germany. until the late nineties before its resting place in Portugal.

Quote Originally Posted by Micktheturbo View Post
    Engine number 6630191 that was in the 911T in the UK was sold to Sweden in 2005, it had invoices for engine rebuilds in Germany from Gottfriedd Kadach in 1991, Karl Wagner Tuning in 1996, then in the UK at Autofarm around 2005 just befor the 911T was sold. its not known if the engine was with Chassis 9113600181 in Germany at the time of the rebuilds however chassis 0181 ended up in Portugal in the late nineties as a Race car with RSR arches fitted and various other modifications.
    It would be interesting to find out who owned the real 0181 from its sale in 1972/3 by the Porsche centre, Mahag, Germany. until the late nineties before its resting place in Portugal.

Was the T sold to Sweden a silver car owned by Michael Burdon in the UK?

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

Hi Mike,

Yes! It was Michaels`s T, currently up for sale at garage 11 in Sweden, I believe its on its second owner in Sweden with a new engine instalation.

Looks Nice!

Kind regards

Mick
    Last edited by Micktheturbo; 08-24-2021 at 08:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Micktheturbo View Post
    Hi Mike,

Yes! It was Michaels`s T, currently up for sale at garage 911 in Sweden, I believe its on its second owner in Sweden with a new engine instalation.

Looks Nice!

Kind regards

Mick

Thanks Mick. I still have the magazine article Michael made on the restoration and transformation of the car from when he imported it from the USA right up to the installation of the RS engine.
    It was a lovely car. I wonder what spec engine is in it now.

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

The T has a SC based 3ltr twin plug engine built by Allan Faragallah of Aase Motors in Los Angeles installed now according to Garage 11 in Sweden.

Kind regards

Mick
    Last edited by Micktheturbo; 08-24-2021 at 08:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cscrogham View Post
    Run

Run far away
    Super obvious that the boss has been ground down substantially. Regardless of whether the type looks correct, this alone indicates a re-stamping.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586