Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RS owners please help!!!!

RS owners please help!!!!

Guys,

I had nothing to do the other day so thought I would remove the front bumper from RS #101 to further validate its authenticity and to change the fron rubber which was broken and very hard. I was looking for more hidden Light Yellow paint which I found everwhere it should be. I know I am not supposed to do this until I have finished the 2.4S project but what can I say!

What I did find however was some very rusty metal brackets attached to the bumper and its really only held in place by the addition of some extra fibreglass that had been applied at some stage. It also appears that the repair has the bar sitting at the wrong height/angle as the rubber across the front of the bumper was glued to it as otherwise there is a gap between the rubber and the bar when the bar is bolted into place and the rubber is where it is supposed to be.

What I want is some pictures of an unmolested bar so that I can try to get it looking original again please. can anyone help with some pictures please and all advice gratefully accepted as to how to go about fixing the problem

Good news is I found lots of yellow paint in all the right places, even found the original holes where the air con had been(factory fitted) this car has had a very lucky life virtually no rust and certainly nothing more than minor damage to the front RHS guard.

Rob perhaps you could pop the bar of your new car so I can whats what!!!!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

www.spyderautomobiles.com .au
    Quote Originally Posted by BOYER73S
    Guys,

I had nothing to do the other day so...I know I am not supposed to do this until I have finished the 2.4S project but what can I say!
    You can say nothing...we ALL know what you are like...no wonder you've been too busy to drop in to Spyder. I could cajole you, but I know better!

Now, the proper windows are looking good in the Targa and the others came out cleanly (with a bit of colourful language mind you). The new windows need some adjustment, but at least they are in. Will you please get on the back of the windscreen man so we can get this car back together!

Cheers,
    Lisa Gregory
    Early 911S Registry #726

www.spyderautomobiles.com.au

You want HOW MUCH for this car ???
    Phil Lack
    Early 911-S Registry # 690
    R-Gruppe # 367
    Past President: Australian TYP901 Register Inc. # 0002

2.0 '66 911R : sold
    2.0 '68 911S : sold
    2.4 '72 911E coupe original Aubergine
    2.4 '72 911E :sold
    2.4 '72 911T : sold
    3.6 '94 993 :sold
    3.6 '97 993 C2S :sold
    '01 Ferrari 360 sold
    '15 CLA250 Benz
    '12 BMW 1M coupe (OMG!)

The RS structure in this area shouldn't be any different than any other 911 of the same year. As a suggestion, you could widen your request to include more feedback. Unfortunately, I don't have any pics of this area to help you.

Sherwood

The bracket looks like the standard bumper bracket for an early car as seen in the top photo. As you stated. It looks like someone added additional fiberglass over the bracket for added support. Probably not a bad idea as it will stress relieve the bumper at the attachment points to the bracket and help prevent cracking.

I wonder if Porsche did this?

After you restore the bracket make sure you get the bumper properly aligned before you re-glass the bracket should you decide to do so.
    Bobby
    71' Olive 2.2E Targa / Early S #491

I've always considered the glass to be half full...that is until I reached middle age and realized that it is actually half empty.

Here's what the bracket that's bonded to the fiberglass looks like, as has been mentioned, the other bracket is the same one that all early 911's use to mount the bumper to the body. It should clean up well.
    Bruce Herrmann
    '73 911S

did this rs have a/c installed at one point in time? that pic with the round plate shows that to have blocked off the a/c fan inlet
    Member #755
    Conda Green 70 911S
    70 black 914-6 3.2
    70 911 "Speedster" project
    "74 IROC" tribute Jade Green RSR

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar

RS front bumper

Clyde,

As you can see from the pics of my RS front bumper, you are not the only one. I think in time it has been repaired a few times, it's so heavy now and I will replace it with a new one.

Cees

That IS an A/C condensor blower intake hole that's been covered. Been there, seen that, fixed that.

And, if you look in the trunk forward of the spare tire there will be a rectangular hole for the blower exhaust. And, if you look behind the fiberboard cover ahead of the dash you will find another big hole through the bulkhead into the drivers compartment. And, if you look under the footboard on the passenger side you will find an even bigger hole for the evaporator assembly to draw air from the cabin. (Hopefully the factory did all of this or the shop cared because I've seen some real butcher jobs on the evaporator hole) If you are lucky the system drained properly or else the smugglers box will be nicely hollowed out by rust.

It is a mighty ordeal to rid a car of the vestiges of A/C because there's a bunch more holes out back in the engine compartment. Best left to a complete body strip-repaint procedure because there's a lot to catch on fire while welding it up neat.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

I believe Clyde's RS was delivered with factory A/C hences the holes.

I dont think he is going to weld them up. Not "original" then.

Are you Clyde ??
    Phil Lack
    Early 911-S Registry # 690
    R-Gruppe # 367
    Past President: Australian TYP901 Register Inc. # 0002

2.0 '66 911R : sold
    2.0 '68 911S : sold
    2.4 '72 911E coupe original Aubergine
    2.4 '72 911E :sold
    2.4 '72 911T : sold
    3.6 '94 993 :sold
    3.6 '97 993 C2S :sold