Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What am I missing here?

What am I missing here?

Take a look at this 72 911T on ebay. The price has cleared reserve and is fairly low at $13K. Am I missing something here? I have been seeing cars sell on Ebay for nearly twice as much. What is wrong with this car?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Nothing wrong with car, I takes a very nice T to sell for 26K. I just sold a very solid E for $12,500 on ebay.
    Phil

Nice car but not original though it seems like a good deal at the price. Love the color.
    Jay

72' 911T-Sold
    74' 914
    Early 911S Registry member #1161

The deal is the miles. 156K scares people away. I have been selling cars for 35 years. People buy odometers, not cars. Jeff Smith bought a 73E that sat in Pano for over 3 years. Nobody cared about it because it had 125K on it for over 20 grand. While on a trip to a wedding Jeff stopped buy to look at it for the hell of it. He called me on the phone going nuts. Anyway , he bought it a year ago and I have seen and driven it. It is probably in the top 5 nicest original cars I have ever seen. Most buyers get hung up on mileage, not condition.When a ad says "38000 original miles, stored for 20 years", there is a car that can suck you wallet dry!

afraid to drive....

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cabell
    buyers get hung up on mileage, not condition.When a ad says "38000 original miles, stored for 20 years", there is a car that can suck you wallet dry!
    AND...one you WON'T want to DRIVE...and then what's the point? What does Tony say? "Let's drive these pigs!"
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

Man, Rick is right…

16 years ago I hesitated before buying my blue car with 86,000 on the clock…
    Then after really looking at the car, reviewing the service records, and realizing that that mileage figured to be a little over 5,000 miles a year, I squeezed the trigger ...

Well……… The car ran well and strong before I missed that shift at 164,000 miles 15 years later …

… and there's plenty more examples

It's condition….
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Sam

Self anointed Head of the SSSP
    ( Super secret seat police )
    our motto is : if you've got a bug up your ass, we put it there

67S polo red 307958S (gone but not forgotten )
    87 factory turbolook Lagoon green metallic ( G50 O'yeah )

To me, the deal is the "T." I understand that mileage will scare people away, but you're buying a 30 year old car!!!! Give me a break.

There is a reason why the "S" goes for 30's, the "E" goes for 20's, and the "T" goes for Teens. There is a desireability that accrues to the model of the car and how it is equipped. And . . . . it will always be so. I am sure that there will be a time in the future -- sometime -- when we will look at an original "T" selling for upper $30's and say "geez, I coulda bought one of those only 15 years ago for less than 10K. Ahhhh, but that's the rub. Ya didn't. Coulda Shoulda Woulda.

Now, if it is a truly original, low miles car, then all bets are off. Then Frank G. will jump in with both feet and make all of us Viper Green with envy.

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

So many questions, so few answers....

'69 911T in last week's paper for $6900...

Which is better low mileage with a high price or a low price with high mileage?

Chicken or egg thing isn't it? Particularly since the high mileage car may end up in better condition after restoration.

There are 3 things to consider when looking at a car that is decades old.
    1. Condition
    2. Condition
    3. Condition
    I've seen cars with ultra low mileage I wouldn't and would want, and the same can be said for high mileage machines. How they were cared for during their time is really the critical part. That, and your individual plans for the car.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)