Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 5 cylinder stumble crossroads - continuous saga of plugged idle jets

milt - waht are you suggesting? a more thorough cleaning of the carbs?
    curt - i read about how you bought special screens for the K&N filters. do you have that book mark handy? i'm going to go ck out that filter tomorrow after work.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

Bob:

We have used the Racor 110a's for several years with great success. Excellent filtering and an invaluable water trap.

I've been down this road for 25+ years and IMHO, your problems are caused by several things. One must take a multi-level approach to solving this once and for all.

If you wish to call me sometime, I'd be pleased to offer some suggestions based on similar experiences.
    Steve Weiner
    Rennsport Systems
    Portland Oregon
    E-mail: porsche@rennsportsystems.com
    http://www.rennsportsystems.com

Quote Originally Posted by bob tilton
    milt - waht are you suggesting? a more thorough cleaning of the carbs?
    I wasn't the one that said it first. But, yes, at least 2 of us have apparently found stuck debris INSIDE the carbs that worked it way loose while driving and ended up in the jets. Doesn't take much.

Carb clean yet?

Bob: as I look at my 911r poster, I was wondering if you cleaned the carb out yet? I just cleaned some Dellortos for a 914 today that had the same problem as you've been having. I cleaned them up and the shop put them on and they ran great. I'm telling you this because 2 different shops worked on these with no progress untill I looked at them. When you clean the carbs look at all the passeges and really look close with magnifying glass.Let me know what you find. Thanks Eric

Has anyone ever tried ultrasonically cleaning carbs? Seems like it might encourage the small bits to exit the drilled passages if indeed they're in there. A long pre-soak in Berrymans might help. After a quick water rinse and compressed air, use the spray can version on all openings with the nozzle.

Bob,
    Have you cut open a filter to inspect it? That would help verify the source of the trash.

Hope this helps some.
    Sherwood

i called steve to further discuss my situation. he suggested the following:

drain float bowls
    remove idle jets
    all applicable screws
    blow out all passages
    racor 110a fuel filter
    aircraft fuel lines
    clean air filters and applu "oil seal"

if not fixed then
    replace fuel pump with a 914-6 bosch unit

i did order the fuel filter and need to order the fuel lines. i will examine my filter when i do the work - busy doing yardwork now . i will probably tend to it sometine next week. until then i can clean the idle jets, criss my fingers and drive.
    btw, steve says he hasn't touched his carbs since '79. he is a real good guy to talk to and very helpful. i am amazed that people are willing to give up their personal time and professional advice for nothing in return. least i can do is send him a poster .

i'll keep you guys informed. if this doesn't work then i am going to drop it back off to the mechanic. well see...
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

Hi Bob:

Please let me add something to the list,....

Remove the tops of the carbs and pull the floats so you can look inside the float bowls. Remove the air corrector jets and emulsion tubes. Use a toothpick to remove the latter.

Now,....(using a strong light) you can see any tiny bits of foreign matter, water droplets (which jam the jets/passages as well as a chunk of dirt), and allows you to force clean air into the jet wells; both main & emulsion tube ones.

Remember to blow air back and forth many times in ALL of these passages to dislodge any bits or water droplets.

Patience is well rewarded in situations like these,....

PS,.....I'd fix your carbs if you did MY yardwork,...
    Steve Weiner
    Rennsport Systems
    Portland Oregon

Steve, Im sticking my tractor and 67S engine on my trailer. Then, on on my way to your house... Ill mow the lawn, you rebuild the motor...

Bob, I have been down that road before as well. Now with all clean parts and two filters (one before each carb), I have no plugging problems any more.
    Michael
    '56 T-1 356 bent window coupe...
    68 911L Burgandy Red R Gruppe #388
    72 911S Coupe, Sepia Brown

Quote Originally Posted by mjmoran
    Steve, Im sticking my tractor and 67S engine on my trailer. Then, on on my way to your house... Ill mow the lawn, you rebuild the motor...

Bob, I have been down that road before as well. Now with all clean parts and two filters (one before each carb), I have no plugging problems any more.
    Mike:

Wow,........I'm stunned. Too bad I have no lawn,.....
    Steve Weiner
    Rennsport Systems
    Portland Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by bob tilton
    thanks paul! we actually print the racor catalogs. i believe the model is 110. may need to look further into purchasing one. when you gonna send me those pictures of one of my favorite cars - the silver weenie? i'll make you a poster from it!
    Actually, all the prints I had made of the snapshots I took back in the early 70's are in the hands of the current owner, the car undergoing a re$toration. The restorer called me a few months ago, asking my recollections. Afraid I wasn't a lot of help. I do still have the negatives, but it's not easy to find someone doing B&W these days. A local photog charged me $100 to print the last set. Seriously Bob, if you don't think it would damage the aesthetics, a marine filter may very well be a good thing to use. I approve of your decision to install one. Let us all know how it works out, okay? For your enjoyment, here's the one computer pic I have of the silver weenie...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)