Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What happened to John D.'s tour of Specialty Powder Coatings?

More than Original
    Milt how about Crystal Cove, if you have not been it has nice showing of cars?

I don't think I'll have the Porsche with me, I started rebuilding the brakes tonight. I got all the calipers off, front rotors off, and front lines replaced. But I still need to rebuild the calipers, replace the rear lines, get the rotors off and resurfaced, and finally put it all back on.
    Bret Davis
    1968 911L

Tough Group

This is a tough group from which to secure a commitment! I had arranged a great day of driving (up to Lake Isabella, CA.) to tour Competition Engineering, and visit for a few hours with Walt (owner).

I finally had to cancel it, as I only received 1.5 firm YES, I'll be there....It was very frustrating, and Walt was really disappointed....

I thought I would try again in the Fall, but I don't know...it was 'much ado about nothing...'
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

well, how about something different.....

Seems there could be a "possible" trend here...... but it's probably just my distrorted thinking and warped social perceptions....(personal diclaimer )

But I seem to detect a sagging level of interest in getting together to go "see something" be it wheels, piston/cylinders, engine builders....whatever the case may be.

I remember in Jan. '04 I helped J.D. put together an open house at 'Pristine Porsche' in Hunt. Bch which is where my wife has worked for 22+ yrs and we had gawd...? how many cars show up??? 15-20??? the place was packed !!!! Then we all went accross the street and had a late breakfast/early lunch.... a great time.

What's changed?

Is everyone just a little busier these days? I know I am and working a lot of weekends sure doesn't help... and from my own personal standpoint, on the weekends I do not work I am more likely to want to spend the day driving my car on the track as opposed to fighting traffic getting somewhere to look at stuff, socialize a bit and fight traffic to get back home.

Don't get me wrong... no negitives are intended here, just my personal preferences that's all.

....so dare I say.....and I'll probably get flamed for this ...but if the "apparent trend" of lackluster interest in shop tours, open houses etc.. is real...maybe something different is in order....

a track day of some sort...?????

o.k......let the flaming begin !!!!
    Johnny Riz
    73E euro 3.2 w. a few goodies
    Rgrp 152
    S Reg 335

John, I see no reason to flame that post. You are probably right. But, OTOH, the gathering at Stuttgart was very sucessful.

Maybe it's time to save the R Gruppe exclusives to Palm Springs and Monterey and open up the events that are primarily R Gruppe and Early S to all 911 drivers.

Stuttgart promoted their own deal, AFIK, to include ALL P-cars including Boxsters. It was a "sell out" and a lot of fun. And, maybe the problem is that the Specialty thing comes too close to the one that just was.

Willhoit gathering 2 years ago was very sucessful (I didn't hear about one this year), but it included the 356's, of course. I think you see the point.

I still think there would have been 10 or 12 cars at Specialty if it were to have remained on the calender. People are spontaeous this days.

More than Original
    I think the key to any event is to open it up to everyone, not just the Early S club and R Gruppe. Stuttgart was open to everyone and was a success; they encouraged people to spread the word which helped I believe. I have several friends and family who are members of other clubs (356 Club, PCA, 912) or not a member of any club.
    Bret Davis
    1968 911L

Quote Originally Posted by B D
    I think the key to any event is to open it up to everyone, not just the Early S club and R Gruppe.
    If that is the case then perhaps Early 911S registry events should be posted on the Pelican BBS as well....? might just work..?

In any case you'll have all the mid & late year 911's drooling over all the early cars........
    Johnny Riz
    73E euro 3.2 w. a few goodies
    Rgrp 152
    S Reg 335

What ever happened to the simple, straightforward, no reservations-required, no stress, non-event ..... breakfast?

Everybody's got to eat. You need an event to eat breakfast and chew the fat with the guys? Nope. In fact, the Registry should make breakfast the focal point. If there's something interesting to see, all the better.

Let's not make it too complicated.

MHO,
    Sherwood

More than Original
    So who's going to Crystal Cove?

Note: This will be an informal event come as you are, RSVP or don't RSVP it does not matter. Come out and join us if you are member or not.
    Bret Davis
    1968 911L

Went to the plater to pick up my stuff, which was to be done yesterday, and......you guessed it......no dice. So, I suppose all things have a way of working themselves out. I can pick up the stuff tomorrow, but you can imagine the amount of time req'd to readjust all 7 MFI linkages and install.

So, I won't be going anywhere this weekend. Those of you that were going to pick up things from me should call or email and make other arragements. Thanks.

Here's another option this weekend...
    Lars Wikblad...

Early 911 "S" Registry # 527
    "R" Gruppe # 314