Thread: Correct Magnesium Finish?

Correct Magnesium Finish?

Guys,

I am in the process of restoring some original RSR magnesium parts, and wanted to know what the correct finish should be. I believe it's either Dow 7 or Dow 9...both are dark brown in color.

Any thoughts?

Cheers, Chris

Chris.... how'are'ya bud... how goes the project????

As for the mag stuff.... a lot of was all over the map as far as finish...

I've seen it VERY brown to dark gray to light gray... I think it all depended on what the alloy was and how it came out of the foundry...

If you are using mag and want to keep it somewhat bright... keep it out of the elements and spray Starret's penetrating oil on it (in a red can) it seems their spray lube has something in it to preserve mag (for awhile)

In the meantime look at this stuff ... the wheel and trans tail piece are original 917 parts

http://d240157.u39.zeonhost.com/foru...ight=917+model
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Hey Chuck!

Doin' well thanks. The project is coming along beautifully. It's fun to see progress after a long hiatus. The hope is to make it a runner this year.

I think I found my answer on the mag parts. Porsche used a dichromate conversion process, Dow #7 (Mil-3171-C). I just put eyes (and hands) on an unrestored 917 and (restored) 910, which confirmed what I needed to know for color and finish. Also, I was able to locate a local aircraft finishing house that can pull this off. You are right on the color....it's mainly a function of the alloy that the part was cast from.

I'm currently rebuilding a set of slide valve throttles, and want to make sure that they are properly protected. As you know, magnesium can get 'furry' in a hurry. The parts still have a passing grade factory finish on 'em, so I am slightly torn as to send them off for refinish. They are only original once.

I also like your suggestion on the penetrating oil. It probably makes sense to spray 'em down and see what they look like.

Great link to the models and 917 parts; it's good to know I'm not the only sick guy out there.

Sorry I missed you Monterey. Hope to see you soon.

Later, Chris

No Chris... you ARE the only sick guy out there...

As for furry mag in a hurry...

I was reading a quality hot rod magazine with GREAT pics... One of the pictorials was a '56 Chevy street rod in Arizona... and another was Jeff Beck's hot rod collection in England. In the back of the magazine they wrote a small column about what they learned while doing this particular issue. They wrote that after 'prepping' the '56 Chevy in Arizona for the photo shoot, the owner said the Hilabrand mags stayed shiny for over a week. Then they wrote that mags in the Beck collection stay presentable for about 3 hours in the English climate.... in fact they had to do them 3 times for the shoot...

... later bud,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter