Thread: Ride Height

Ride Height

While we're debunking myths, can someone answer this question? I contend there was no difference between Euro/ROW and US ride heights until the introduction of impact bumpers in 1974 (possibly 1973, since this is when US manufactured cars began sprouting safety bumpers). I have nothing to back this up other than looking at photos in the orginal literature. Even the RS rode relatively high. Here it is at it's debut:

Gburner
    I heard imported MGBs in the early 70s were raised to comply with the minimum US headlight height criteria. Something like 22 or 24 inch ground to center of headlight? That's how they used to bust all the lowered VWs way back then. Could this headlight measurement have been a factor for the early 911 too?

Registered User parced@telia.co's Avatar

Untuched cars

I have some arguments in support of that. I looked in Porsche's Tech Spech booklet and here the ride height specified. No differens between any markets. Please also look at the pictures I posted of the untuched -73 RS lwt. I KNOW that this car has delivery height, and that is high. I also remenber my old 2.4 S, bought early -80, it had that silly ride hight. The booklet say "Traverse tub center 12 mm above rear wheel center". I do not remember if the car in itself should be "flat". I do remeber something about some %:ig of angle, rear lower than front.

Untouched ride height

The 'RS book' shows measurements on page 68/69 of ride height. Can anyone confirm if they run at this height now. My car even with correct tyres runs way lower than this and while this gives a nice appearance I'm not sure my car handles as well as it should. I know there are other issues but can anyone tell me what the measurement from floor to lower fender lip is on their car front and rear? Cheers
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681