Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lockpost id tag?

lockpost id tag?

i have a 73 E and a 73S. the E has a stickon? label and the S has a metal tag riveted on the drivers side lockpost. what are they for and why are they different? thanks, larry

Gawd, I hate to say this, but the label on my '72S, never removed, is a stick-on. If I were looking at a car to buy, and saw an aluminum tag, I'd be suspicious. Do you have pics? Maybe we're not talking about the same label...??? As I've posted before, I do believe that there are counterfeit "S" cars out there. Naw, I don't believe it, I KNOW it...don't ask me how I know...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

id tag

i do not have a pic, but this tag is a factory tag with vehicle number, model, 1973, tire sizes,max total weight front axle and rear axle, seating capacity, etc. the vin number on this tag is the same as the bulkhead vin as well as the a pillar vin.
    the heading of the tag is MFD BY PORSCHE AG. STUTTGART
    THIS VEHICLE CONFORMS TO ALL APPLICABLE FEDERAL MOTORVEHICLE SAFETY STANDARDS IN EFFECT ON THE DATE OF MANUFACTUR SHOWN ABOVE
    and across the bottom of the tag states: CONVERTED OVERSEAS BY CONTI MOTORS GERMANY

thanks, larry

Isn't this the sticker that comes off in a dozen pieces if removed. Are these replaceable if you strip to repaint?
    67 Normale, Old Rusty
    67 R Inspired and on a Diet
    73 T/ST Caged Beast
    RGruppe #383
    S Registry #739

Yep, I'm still trying to figure out what "lockpost" means here. The only aluminum riveted tag on my car with the info posted is at the front of the trunk. The info on the door jam is a sticker, designed to fall apart if removed.
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Talking

"don't ask me how I know..."

It's a shame to hear that your nice green car is a counterfeit...

this aluminum tag is on the drivers side door jam and as i stated it is very porsche in content and appearance. i believe that it serves the same purpose as the adhesive label, but it is aluminum instead. it is not counterfeit, numbers all match up perfectly with other critical vin numbers. i am just interested in why it is not a stickon. do you suppose that it had something to do with where the car was to be shipped?

There was an early thread here explaining that these aluminum tags can be purchased "blank" ...Again, your door jam, below the striker plate, should have a sticker...one that is damaged if removed.

It sounds like a gray market conversion plate. There was nothing from Porsche riveted to the lock post on a '73. The gray market converters did this all the time, however.
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

id tag

thanks for the replies. i have applied to pcna for a certificate of authenticity. perhaps that will shed further light as to where the car was destined when new. thanks again!