Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: opinion on this car?

opinion on this car?

Red 71 T on ebay. Dealer say's the 51000 miles are original. No rust on pan. He has not checked the leakdown. Chrome has been painted? Why? Pick it apart and let me know please. He wants $10,000 for it. Weber Carbs also.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...sPageName=WDVW

I would also like to know if you guys think that I can use this car as a daily driver? I'm moving to Minnesota tommorow morning so there will be times where I'll be using my 4x4 but whenever I can I'd like to drive it as much as possible. I'm sick of my SUV. How reliable will it be? Assuming it passes a PPI.

Thanks in advance,
    -J

Sorry I have no idea how to post a link to it. If someone could tell me or do it that would be great.

Here's the link

1971 911 T not mine

My car had painted chrome when I got it, it came right off with paint remover and a lot of polishing. The chrome underneath was in very good shape, since it had been protected by the paint for a long time.

But, it could have been painted to hide something.

My feeling is that it has well over 51,000 miles, the drivers seat, the carpet and the steering wheel look to be quite damaged for a 50k mile car.
    Henry

Thank you for the the reply. Yeah, I should have made that connection about the seats and carpet. I got emotional about the car. I want a red 69 to 73 sunroof coup and I've given up on the sunroof and I can't afford an "S" anyway a T or E seems more streetable. So how much do you guys feel it's worth?

In my opinion the car is priced good if it is not a rusty and cheap repainted car just to sell it quick on ebay !!! watch out .
    on the other hand what kind of car you expect for around 10 K if it is more or less ok than you can't go wrong because prices are going up right now there is a good chance if you keep it in good running condition that you resell it next year for 15+ K so were is the risk .
    Take a good look at it and if you have a good feeling go for it.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Kasi

Can anyone advise me the everyday usefulness of an early 911? Is it feasable to use it as a daily driver when weather permits?

As a daily driver it should be fine. If it's in good mechanical order expect it to be pretty good for you. My daily drivers are a 70S, a 72S, and a 73T. All have been very good to me.
    Tom

OTOH, if you are moving to MN, and you want to use an early car as a daily driver, plan on only driving it from March (maybe April) through October. The salt that they are required to use on the roads in MN when it gets cold will eat your early 911 for lunch. Wonder why all of the nice early cars that are left have the tag line "California car - no rust" "Texas Car - no rust" No one ever sees a notice "Minnesota car, used as a daily driver - No Rust."

Wonder why

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

I have a 71T albeit with some mods (2.7L, RS stuff on it, custom interior). It's a very streetable car and will treat you great with some routine maintenance. Just be sure to check and repair/replace any old fuel lines and oil hoses as well as the belt. Run the oil dipstick halfway and put a fresh air filter in it. Be sure to have the plugs replaced and the valves set. One other item to look at is the chain tensioners.

Body wise, look carefully with a magnet. Inspect the area around the pedals and the torsion tubes at the front. Watch for battery acid damage as well.
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

The chrome/aluminum trim was probably replaced when it was repainted to make it look newer. You will probably need to replace it , including the turnsignal lenses and front grills, rather that strip it. Also the outside rearview mirror is not correct and I think that the spare tire is missing.
    Bill Cilker, Jr.
    Gold 72 911S
    31 Ford Model A
    PCA, Early S Registry (#98) & RGruppe (#272)
    Rotarian

Quote Originally Posted by Junkley
    Thank you for the the reply. Yeah, I should have made that connection about the seats and carpet. I got emotional about the car. I want a red 69 to 73 sunroof coup and I've given up on the sunroof and I can't afford an "S" anyway a T or E seems more streetable. So how much do you guys feel it's worth?
    Can I put it this way? Save your money...don't bid. This, judging by the pic on the ebay ad.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)